VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd C&p Question

Rate this question

MikeR

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello. My name is Mike and I am a 50% disabled vet for my Arm and back. I have a claim at the BVA that was remanded 3 years ago from them for PTSD and my ankle. I had surgery on the ankle 2 years ago as I could no longer wait on the VA to help me with it and I was lucky enough to find a good doctor whom was able to correct the ankle, and make the injury tolerable. I had a C&P on the ankle and I told the doctor there what was wrong and the fact that I had the surgery. He seemed to be leading me with questions as I have a nice scar and lack of feeling, and some awkward pain. The achilles tendon had been torn and resewed back together, and a bone tumor was removed on the back of the ankle. If that keeps me from compensation then so be it, I think being better is better. Also I have a PTSD claim that dates back to June 1998. In 1998 the VA doc said I had PTSD and the Cleveland VARO denied me, I appealed, denied, Appealed to BVA and they remanded in 2005. Did the stressor letter, and sent more info including letter from a co-worker, and copies of awards, and letters from private psychologists. I have had failed marriages, and live alone, and don't like crowds and need routine. I have anger for no reason,and little triggers make me appear nuts. I had another VA C&P exam on October 3, 2008 with the VA Psych. He took his time with me and gave me a GAF of 45. He diagnosed me with PTSD & Depression, have copy of exam. He told me I needed medication. Which I mentioned to my GP and she prescribed me a couple of meds that seem to be helping. I have had a lot of shame over this in the past, and I know this is not curable.

My claim is with the BVA and my stressors are combat and non-combat(Law Enforcement) active duty. If the BVA does not have proof of my stressors, why did they have the C&P exam? That was a specific order in the remand? If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Thank you.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Well, make sure you keep all your copies of all your paperwork. I have 20% disability for my ankle. I got by the American Legions help. You may want to call them. That is the best organization to represent you in my opinion. I know what you are going through. I am trying for PTSD myself. I served 10 yrs of constant harrassment. My mental health nurse says because I was too easy-going. They were able to push me around. It is probably why I lasted 10 yrs because I let everything pass. But it does get to you. My baby died in Germany at the hands of my husband and they tried to take my rank away stating that Maybe I was not mentally capable of upholding my rank right now with what was going on in my life. can you believe it. Yes, they can get rough I learned. Try the American Legion. They do wonders for you.

Sherry, sorry to hear about your son. CID should have records someplace. Have you tried to get them from there?

Mike- unless you have the PH or the CAR on your DD14-the VA is supposed to verify your stressors via the JSRRC (Joint Services Records Research Center)

JSRRC uses your buddy statements and your own statements to verify the stressful events that caused your PTSD.

I dont know if the PTSD questionnaire has changed much but my husband had to state dates and incidents by month. He also had wall printouts of his buddy who died in an explosion and also had names of other Marines whose deaths he witnessed first hand and who the JSRRC could verify died in the same ops he was in -same time, same place. One of his main stressors made national news here in the states and the firefights etc he was in were easily verified by checking movement of his unit in Vietnam and USMC After Action reports for 1st Mar 1st Div Amphibious Tracker Battalion.

Did the remand confirm that JSRRC had confirmed your stressors?

• HadIt.com Elder
Mike- unless you have the PH or the CAR on your DD14-the VA is supposed to verify your stressors via the JSRRC (Joint Services Records Research Center)

JSRRC uses your buddy statements and your own statements to verify the stressful events that caused your PTSD.

I dont know if the PTSD questionnaire has changed much but my husband had to state dates and incidents by month. He also had wall printouts of his buddy who died in an explosion and also had names of other Marines whose deaths he witnessed first hand and who the JSRRC could verify died in the same ops he was in -same time, same place. One of his main stressors made national news here in the states and the firefights etc he was in were easily verified by checking movement of his unit in Vietnam and USMC After Action reports for 1st Mar 1st Div Amphibious Tracker Battalion.

Did the remand confirm that JSRRC had confirmed your stressors?

Berta,

Thank you for your reply. No, I don't think that they did. When I spoke to the lady at the BVA the other day she informed me that they were still waiting on my records which has been a 2 year ordeal. The JSRRC informed me that they sent the copy to the VA over a year ago. The Remand stated that they were supposed to confirm the stressors prior to the C&P for PTSD. So I had assumed (dangerously) that they had done that prior to the exam. The exam was a bit of an eye-opener for me. The VA doc said I had PTSD and Depression severely and GAF 45. He mentioned that my story had not changed in 10 years and I should be given the benefit of the doubt, whatever that means. I guess I was just confused to why the BVA would do the exam without the stressor verification. I suppose now it's just another admin error.

Thank you

Mike

"The JSRRC informed me that they sent the copy to the VA over a year ago. The Remand stated that they were supposed " etc

Can you yourself ask the JSRRC for a copy of their findings?

At the rate VA is going, they might have lost or misplaced the JSRRC report by now.

I wonder how many JSRRC confirmations have been lost or shredded by the VA- even Buddy statements-

as the VA OIG found- the documents that were set to be shredded in some VA's were critical evidence documents.

• HadIt.com Elder
"The JSRRC informed me that they sent the copy to the VA over a year ago. The Remand stated that they were supposed " etc

Can you yourself ask the JSRRC for a copy of their findings?

At the rate VA is going, they might have lost or misplaced the JSRRC report by now.

I wonder how many JSRRC confirmations have been lost or shredded by the VA- even Buddy statements-

as the VA OIG found- the documents that were set to be shredded in some VA's were critical evidence documents.

I probably need to request a copy for my own records and send them another copy. You know for a long time I did not get help because I was waiting on the VA to make my claim legit. I now realize how dumb that was as PTSD can ruin your life, and that of the people around you. At this point it matters less to me what some rater thinks, and more about the quality of life I have in the future. The rating helps as there are a lot of stupid people out there whom believe that Vets use PTSD as an excuse. If you are struggling with PTSD and are not in treatment, seek it. It may save your life. God bless and keep you.

Mike