VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Change Of Pcp Request

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

Last Labor Day week-end, I got sick from a bacterial infection of the small intestine, I spent four days at my local VA hospital and I must add, they took very good care of me. Prior to this, my PCP (primary care phycisian) had quit and moved on, (that's another story) anyway, when they told me I would be assigned a new PCP, I made it clear that I prefered a female Dr. over a male Dr. and put in a written request to clarify this.

After my discharge from the hospital, I was given a follow up Dr. with my newly assigned female PCP Dr. or at least I thought she was to be my PCP from then on, but I found out shortly afterwards when I went in recently to request a referal to a Neuro Dr. only to find out that the previous Dr. I had seen was only a temperary PCP and that my new assigned PCP was Dr.XXX a male Dr. Of course this got my anxiety thermometer rising very quickly.

I asked how come they assigned me a male PCP when I had requested a female PCP, and that I had made the request in writing, filling out the proper request form and all. Well she said she would look into it and also see that my Neuro Dr. referal was taken care of also.

Today I got a letter from the VA Hospital letting me know that the mistake had been taken care of and also giving me the name of my new PCP, so when it was time to make my next appointment, I would know who to make it with or ask for.

So, my VA hospital is back in my good graces, but I am still upset with them over the reason my previous PCP felt she had to quit. It could have been avoided by simply hiring another Dr or two, to take some of the work load off her back, since it turned out she was the only PCP Dr, out of several left, to take care of the needs of the particular team I was assigned to. She was good at her job and well liked by her other patients I had known from talking with them.

I hope no one has to go through a switch in PCP or other Dr's but if they do, I hope it is a smooth transition and not turn out to be a mix up like mine was.

Rockhound Rider :( :o

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

My first PCP was female, but not a good one. I found out that she had me on cholesterol-lowering meds when in fact my cholesterol was in the 170s!!! Why? She had been wrongly looking at the wrong lab reports!!!

So I requested a new PCP. Of course she is still working there. Lovely. I requested a female PCP because I'm a MST victim and it's easier for me to deal with female docs.....therefore the VA gave me a male PCP.

I wanted to switch again but was told no. I was told that unless there was a very bad problem that because I had switched once already I cannot switch again.

.......have I mentioned lately how much I hate the VA????

So I requested a new PCP. Of course she is still working there. Lovely. I requested a female PCP because I'm a MST victim and it's easier for me to deal with female docs.....therefore the VA gave me a male PCP.

I wanted to switch again but was told no. I was told that unless there was a very bad problem that because I had switched once already I cannot switch again.

.......have I mentioned lately how much I hate the VA????

purple: If MST is for Sexual Trauma, and it involved a male, then you have every right to a female Dr. Regardless what they told you is the rule. By forcing you to see a male Dr. that involves female related exams, they are subjecting you a possible trigger to a psychotic break. I would talk to your Patient advocate and if that doesn't work, then I would suggest you get in writing from the hospitals director, notice as to why you can not have a female Dr. Then I would be taking that to a Rape councilor, preferably one with a Phd. and then to a lawyer for a possible 1151 claim for subjecting you to forseeable conciquences of their actions. even if their action has yet to cause you harm. I would state and I am sure that the Phd rape councilor would agree, that there action could be forsseable to cause you additional trauma even if it does not show now, it would more likely than not be a problem in your forseeable future.

Don't let them get away with this kind of attitude towards women. Dr's are not created equal.

Rockhound Rider :(

RockhoundRider-

It was the Pt Advocate who told me I couldn't change PCPs!! And yes, it's due to MST. My former tdoc was very aware of the situation; but she was an RN and had zero power. I'm not convinced there are any PhD rape counselors at the Dayton VAMC.....even though my new tdoc is a real tdoc.

I can't get anyone to listen just how horrible this place really is.

dear heart....you have the right to change

ANY doc that you want. anybody that tells you otherwise is not representing the truth. the rationale for assigning anyone that has had sexual trauma from the opposite sex is a reasonable option on the VA's part, but may not represent your preference. being a "bad patient" as one doc told me 15 years ago is nothing to apologize for...and will probably add years to your life.

RockhoundRider-

It was the Pt Advocate who told me I couldn't change PCPs!! And yes, it's due to MST. My former tdoc was very aware of the situation; but she was an RN and had zero power. I'm not convinced there are any PhD rape counselors at the Dayton VAMC.....even though my new tdoc is a real tdoc.

I can't get anyone to listen just how horrible this place really is.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just remember that anything you tell your PCP can and will be used against you when you file a claim. Anything you tell any VA employee can come back to haunt you. When I filed my CUE the VA went over my file with a fine tooth comb to try and find a reason to deny. They went back over 20 years to find a C&P exam opinion to try and hurt me. It did not work.