VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And

Rate this question

Berta

Question

This case shows how a service connected condition such as PTSD can cause disability and death.

The widow had private medical opinions and even two fairly negative VA medical opinions did include some support for the claim.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files1/0700083.txt

"The veteran's service-connected PTSD contributed to his

fatal lung cancer in that it played a material causal role in

his use of tobacco products after service. The veteran's use

of tobacco products caused the disease that is directly

linked to the veteran's demise"

"ORDER

Service connection for the veteran's cause of death is

granted, subject to the laws and regulations governing the

payment of monetary benefits"

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

the military never made anyone smoke and drink.

ppl can always say no unless they physically forced and threatened to smoke and/or drink. i just don't buy it.

does this mean i can file claims for my excessive shopping due to stress from PTSD??? no. wouldn't dream of it. it's ridiculous.

• HadIt.com Elder

If the Army did not want soldiers to smoke why did they include them in C-rat packages. We were issued cigaretts and given access to cheap booze. The Army was contributing to the health problems of a generation of young men and women. Notice how many vets smoke as compared to the average person. Just go to the local VAMC and watch all those old and sick vets puffing away. Oh, and most Vietnam vets were exposed to illegal drugs on a daily basis. If you want your health ruined just join the Army. Shopping and spending excessively is a symptom of bi-polar disorder. The Army was like being dumped into a ghetto sewer.

who knows why the ciggys were included, certainly none of us. my point is just because the ciggys and alcohol were around, some free, some cheap; doesn't mean anyone was forced to do it; which means it should not be rated as secondary to PTSD.

and no, i'm not bi-polar, but thanks anyway.

• HadIt.com Elder

I disagree with smoking not being possibly secondary to PTSD. If you are in combat and realize that you will probably not survive why not smoke if it relieves tension for a few minutes. If you are pretty certain you are going to be violently and horribly killed smoking seems like a minor vice as does drinking and taking drugs. Once addicted it is something else.

i was pretty certain i was going to be violently and horrible killed while being raped on active duty; but i didn't resort to smoking and drinking....and i have PTSD. i've still never smoked or drank.

i don't believe there is a direct connection in fear of being killed and wanting to smoke and/or drink...and then later blaming that smoking and drinking on the PTSD.

i thought this site was to help vets prove a claim,not to dispell any diagnosis or pretend to be an advocate of not filing a claim.purple,because you never picked up cigs or alcohol,does not mean that you did not have other symptoms or you would not be getting paid for ptsd.just because you don't suffer a particular symptom,please don't sound off on other vets that do.this is not your sounding board,it's a board to help vets..period.regardless of symptoms.

you have your 100%,now it's another vets right to try to get theirs,don't be a roadblock.

Edited by simple fly