VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Artheritis And Service Connection

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hello I need some advice or suggestion. I am service connected 10% for my back disc injury that has gotten realy bad here in the last 6 months. My Doc at the VA who was my treating doctor stated to me why I had came off the oxaprozin I reminded him about the current old hole in my stomach from the pain meds and artheritis meds. He asked me why I had not put in a claim for a new cp I told him I had put in for unemployabilty I was at 80% with 60% for my heart and it is still giving  me trouble. Is it true that nerve dammage (Noted by Civ Nuero Surgeon from DDD in Back) and artheritis could be claimed? I reallly do not want the Unemployability if I could finnish my claim out with those two service connected claims. I have two CP exams this month for my heart and my back so what would you claim I know that I have not worked since 2001 but it was for nothing related to my service connected claims. My heart was orignally an issue when it became enlarged due to years of hypertension. I started getting the swelling in  ankles and giving out of breath as my heart got worse. I mow wease all the time when I walk down the road for a short walk or try to climb stairs or really just play with kids. It suks but now ith my back also I really never saw or uderstood why some one would take their life. My father was hurt in Korea and ended up shooting himself over his injuries but back then the vets did not talk about it like we do here. I am not into hurting myself but it has depressed the fire out of me not being able to do just ordinary things . For those of you out there I know it can be real hard but a good day will pop up there every now and then. I have not did an honest days work in so long my hands are smoother than my wifes. My kids have to put my socks on and help me put my feet inot the legs of my own britches. Now that is a reality check. Some peole may be able to take it but I guess I am lucky to have some one there. 

It really sucks but I give out of breath so easily now. I have the early signs f congestive heart failure from what I have read but I leave the diagnosis up to the docs. A blood testused to help with a diagnosis but at this point I am pretty sure I line up with it I hope it is something other than that. Adios sorry to be so long but I hope it helps somebody. Thanks for any suggestions or advice..

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Episodes of chf should be rated at 100 percent. Also claim the ulcer as secondary to meds.

You must be rated for IVDS. If you have had fusion surgury then it should be rated as traumaic arthritis with the nerve issues secondary. It is still based on the ROM.

7007 Hypertensive heart disease:

Chronic congestive heart failure, or; workload of 3 METs or less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent 100

J

Edited by jbasser

Jbasser:

I just received a letter from VA St Pete asking me for more information as far as my secondary GERD, gastritis, ulcers, hiatal hernia due to NSAIDS (meds). I already sent them the results of the endioscopy and the docs diagnosis that I have all of those problems from Nov06. Also, I had my family physician sign a letter stating that those conditions are more like than not caused by the meds I have been on for 10+ years because of my SC disabilities. I have seen a couple of docs for stomach pain and problems. Do I need to send the other stuff in with this reply or should I just send in the new stuff like visiting the doc for stomach pain?? I also sent in a few copies of appeals cases that granted the vet disability for the above conditions, because of the NASAIDs they were on and I am also taking.

I guess common sense doesn't prevail when you're working with the VA. Any suggestions are welcome.

s/Mags

Episodes of chf should be rated at 100 percent. Also claim the ulcer as secondary to meds.

You must be rated for IVDS. If you have had fusion surgury then it should be rated as traumaic arthritis with the nerve issues secondary. It is still based on the ROM.

Hey thanks I am saving these replies to work on them I had one surgery on my back but mt current nuero surgeon stataes that at this time my back is not at a level that would warrant surgery and my nerve dammage to my left and right legs are inoperable. My next scheduled surgery will be a fusion per the nuero surgeon

7007 Hypertensive heart disease:

Chronic congestive heart failure, or; workload of 3 METs or less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent 100

My CHF still is my opinion but I am scheduled this week for 2 C/P exams heart and back. Edema on my legs and breathing problems i what scares me. I do not want CHF there is something that can pull me off this path. Adios and thanks..

• HadIt.com Elder
Jbasser:

I just received a letter from VA St Pete asking me for more information as far as my secondary GERD, gastritis, ulcers, hiatal hernia due to NSAIDS (meds). I already sent them the results of the endioscopy and the docs diagnosis that I have all of those problems from Nov06. Also, I had my family physician sign a letter stating that those conditions are more like than not caused by the meds I have been on for 10+ years because of my SC disabilities. I have seen a couple of docs for stomach pain and problems. Do I need to send the other stuff in with this reply or should I just send in the new stuff like visiting the doc for stomach pain?? I also sent in a few copies of appeals cases that granted the vet disability for the above conditions, because of the NASAIDs they were on and I am also taking.

I guess common sense doesn't prevail when you're working with the VA. Any suggestions are welcome.

s/Mags

You did good. Resend the docs opinion about the meds. You can enclose it all again and ask them to rate the claim as you have no additional information or evidence at this time.

If you have insurance you can get an opinion from a Gastroenterologist. He would be the mac daddy as no one can dispute his opinion.

Good work.

J

• HadIt.com Elder
My CHF still is my opinion but I am scheduled this week for 2 C/P exams heart and back. Edema on my legs and breathing problems i what scares me. I do not want CHF there is something that can pull me off this path. Adios and thanks..

CHF is not a good thing to have. Keep the fluid off of your body and you will feel better. Stay away from salt.

You may want to search and print the heart patients diet and stick to it.

J