VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help

Rate this question

roadking

Question

Hello to all,

I have a question, My father in law is a Vietnam Vet with a couple Purple Hearts and is rated at 60% for PTSD and wounds to the legs. He just got rated 4 months ago he never went to the VA after getting out of the service. He also has a very bad heart and lungs do you think he can put in a claim for these conditions as secondary to his PTSD

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hello to all,

I have a question, My father in law is a Vietnam Vet with a couple Purple Hearts and is rated at 60% for PTSD and wounds to the legs. He just got rated 4 months ago he never went to the VA after getting out of the service. He also has a very bad heart and lungs do you think he can put in a claim for these conditions as secondary to his PTSD

If his heart and lungs can be related to the PTSD then sure, put in a claim for it all apperently they have plenty of money to piss away on all this b.s. research they do, with no eval, and have consultants come in for 1 week and get 107,000 dollars so why not put a claim in for it the worst thing they can say is no. then you can appeal that.

How does the 60% breakdown on his award- and did they consider him for TDIU?

Is he employed?

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, I don't know how the heart/lungs would tie into the PTSD. Not saying that they won't/can't, but it may be an uphill battle connecting the physical with the mental.

Has he been seen or treated by the VA for his heart or lungs condition?

If he has 60%, then I am assuming that he has applied for eligibility for treatment at the VA Medical Center or Community Clinic. And, if so, he should have a Primary Care Physician. If he does have a PCP, then get this VA physician to, at the very least, document his physical problems with his heart/lungs/copd/chf, etc.

Always approach EVERYthing to do with your (or his) health keeping in mind the possibility, no matter how remote, that one disease/symptom/disability could be either directly or indirectly caused by, OR aggravated by, another disease/symptom/disability that is, or could be, Service Connected. And, there is no person better suited to do all that than your friendly VA Primary Care Physician...................(that is, provided that you speak Hindi fluently or at least are reasonably good with hand signals).

• HadIt.com Elder

Could his heart/lung conditions be related to AO exposure, since he's a Vietnam Veteran? The purple hearts tell me he was definitely in-country.

Edited by allan

He has a PCP and he also is going to specialty clinics for these problems. What I find amazing is that the VA put his claim on fast tract. From the time he first went to see the doc's to his award was less than 1 month. I literally had to drag him to the VA to get the ball rolling on his claims he should have done it years ago. Yes he was in country for 3 tours with the Phoenix project.

Roadking,if he is 60% service connected,that means he is 50% ptsd and 10% wounds,he meets the the requirements of 4.16a elgible for unemployability if he is not gainful employable because of his military disabilites.

mobie16r