VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va(rh)insurance Disability Waiver Of Premiums

Rate this question

vmo

Question

When a veteran is granted disability waiver of premiums on his/her VA(RH)Insurance policy....is this not good additional evidence to use when applying for TDIU/IU (??)...Or how about extra schedular rating? If veteran's only disability's are what he/she is service connected for? In other words, if they are granting the vet waiver of premiums strictly for their service connected disability(s), why then is xtra sched/tdiu/iu, so difficult to obtain later on?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You must already be TDIU or Totally Disabled (100%) before you can apply for a waiver of premiums on the first $10K Life Insurance Policy and you must meet the "new" service connection condition and apply within 2 years of effective date. http://www.insurance.va.gov/inforceglisite/buying/SDVI.htm

I was thinking likewise, but vet's only disability are (3)ortho/neuro conditions, 30%. When vet applied for waiver of premiums, it was approved in weeks. They even called vet from the VA ins center. The only evidence submitted was on sc conditions.(??) Not trying to baffle anyone, I just don't understand. However, 30% is pending denovo review, but not yet decided. *That is why I am wondering possibly vet should be 100% TDIU or extra scheduler? VARO has same evidence as VA Insurance Center. Hmmmmm.

• HadIt.com Elder

Apparently someone either got the cart before the horse (not likely).

Or someone has misrepresented the facts.

The only way that you can receive a waiver of premiums is to be 100% P&T.

In other words, I do not think that the VA Insurance Center is gonna look at someone's claim and decide that, yup, this guy's gonna get 100% sooner or later, so we'll just give him a waiver now to save time later.

• HadIt.com Elder

BTW, if you know this Veteran and know that he has filed for a waiver of premiums when he, in fact, was not eligibile....then tell him to hang onto that money that he should have been paying for his premiums......'cause the VA is gonna want it, sooner or later.

I just checked the web cite "jessejames" listed prior,--basically it states VA will waive premiums for total disability from "any" condition prior to 65th birthday. See VA Pamphlet 29-9 Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance RH Information and Premium Rates. (It does not specify just serv.con.)?? May be I should try anonymous phone call to VA Insurance Center, I just don't trust them. Again, my point/question is, if only evidence the VARO has is the same VA Insurance has on waiver of premiums---may be vet is under rated at 30%?

I just checked the web cite "jessejames" listed prior,--basically it states VA will waive premiums for total disability from "any" condition prior to 65th birthday. See VA Pamphlet 29-9 Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance RH Information and Premium Rates. (It does not specify just serv.con.)?? May be I should try anonymous phone call to VA Insurance Center, I just don't trust them. Again, my point/question is, if only evidence the VARO has is the same VA Insurance has on waiver of premiums---may be vet is under rated at 30%?

It's been a long time since I went trough this, 1994, but seems to me I had to send an Award Letter to VA Insurance showing 100% P&T and also the NEW s/c condition under 2 years old...at that time my new s/c condition was hypertension cardiovascular secondary to 100% for PTSD