VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam On Left Foot Sc

Rate this question

yoggie2

Question

I hap a C&P on my L-foot I was afraid to add after being screwed by my RO last ones I had that was more likely than not. But this one is also SC broke it in 1990 and again and again then had to have surgery and cast again went on for close to years. I still have many problems with it that has never changed even after 2 C&Ps I never attended the only one that was on record was at my MEB board that stated I still have problems with my foot but my back was my main concern that was 1994NOV.

post-3067-1225910266_thumb.jpg

post-3067-1225910286_thumb.jpg

Edited by yoggie2

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

what injury did you sustain? break of what foot ______? was there a soft tissue injury? what is the name of the surgeries they performed? this should be in diagnostic form in your clinical notes and in the informed consent you signed.

do you need prosthetic shoes? brace?

is your back aggravated by your gait?

just some thoughts...

I broke my foot in 1990 and was casted a year broke again

"Jones fracture" of the 5th metatarsal than required surgery to grind off bone spurs than was doing damage to the ball of my foot that causes me to walk heel inside foot to toe I have all ways had pain there. I went through almost 2 years of dealing with this while in service...I have wore inserts for years $300 Good feet but not now the VA is springing for the $700 prosthetic shoes, I broke my back later on while in service as well later in 91. and yes my back is in bad shape.

Edited by yoggie2

i gotta fly. i had jones fx too lol. i will write back when i come back from two appts at togus. thanks for writing. jones fxs are bummers. did you have a wicked sprain? did they soft cast you or plaster cast (below the knee). do you know what dx the shape of your foot is? mine is equino-varus. the instep is markedly raised and painful. is that where you placed your inserts? what do you mean walk heel inside foot to toe? i'll check later if you choose to post. i fell in august. my jonsey foot would not clear a step and i fell on my face and broke my nose. lol i get botox shots in my posterior tibialis muscle because my foot froze into place post surgery. it turned out i had dystonia (permanant contracture) of the muscle due to casting. dig that. so glad you wrote.

I broke my foot in 1990 and was casted a year broke again

"Jones fracture" of the 5th metatarsal than required surgery to grind off bone spurs than was doing damage to the ball of my foot that causes me to walk heel inside foot to toe I have all ways had pain there. I went through almost 2 years of dealing with this while in service...I have wore inserts for years $300 Good feet but not now the VA is springing for the $700 prosthetic shoes, I broke my back later on while in service as well later in 91. and yes my back is in bad shape.

What do you mean walk heel inside foot to toe?

I avoid walking to the out side of my foot and the ball as much as possible because of the pain it causes.

I had the plaster cast to the Knee for almost a year on and off. I was doing sprints and spun to run and heard it break sounded like a wooden pencil slowly breaking in to splinters, I knew I had just broke my foot. over a year the bone would drift in and out of place and try to heal at one time it try to heal crooked and broke apart and eventually healed straight but I had damage in my foot from spurs, calcium deposits so they did surgery at Port Smith Naval Hospital and clean the bone.. I have always had constant pain but like so many others we just deal with it My MEB board I had filed for it when I was being showed the door because of my back at 40% in NoV of 95. They mention in my MEB mt foot caused me constant pain but my back pain and radiation to my legs was my primary concren and rated my foot at 0%. I got my c-file it stated I had 2 C&P's over the years 96, 98 if I did I was not there I'd remember that. My foot has never been examined by a VA Doctor or C&P since I left service just that mention in my MEB board that it caused me constant pain, Hell I was 24 I had know idea I could do ant thing about this. Its wasn't like it is now where your told right off the plane by the DAV,VFW, AL an others waiting on you, you were left to fin for your self.......... Rich

Also my scare opens up from time to time right over the bone just tissue if I wear shoes often of if my feet get dry its the first place to open up.......and scab over yuck. sorry for the detail but I had to give you the details..

Edited by yoggie2

• HadIt.com Elder

pattik...I wasn't trying to be anything but factual. I try to look at these things from the standpoint of a rater (re: 5th grade level). Since Rich doesn't have any malunion/non union issues, and none of the other conditions apply, then the dx code I listed is most likely what the rater will use. All of the references that you've quoted are nice, except for your statement, "Thus, the nature of the particular injury determines whether limitation of motion is involved under DC 5284." That statement is patently incorrect. What determines whether or not ROM's are utilized is the rating criteria as stated in 38 CFR 4.71a. Under diagnostic code 5284 no ROM criteria is listed, therefore it is inconsiquential. The rating only allows for podiatric problems that are severe, moderately severe, and moderate. The only way that ROM's could even remotely be inferred under this dx code would be through a extra-schedular rating, which this C&P does not provide enough information for.

that sounds like an ordeal. i would put in for it. i don't know the mechanics for putting in a claim for an injury that happened 13 years ago. i can say, that what you had downsized and displayed in your post was bs. it reeks of being made up.

did you go to the va for treatment when the wound opened? did you receive treatment elsewhere? you are an osteomyelitis (bone infection) risk for wounds like that. i have no freakin idea about ratings. but injuries sustained during service (in your case) and treated in service should be claimed in my estimation. healing incorrectly could be a function of your casting--maybe not. developing bone spurs and osteophytes (aka joint and/or bone mice) are additional signs of disability (again my opinion).

if i were you, i'd file for it. who is responsible for your a new shoe? here in togus, maine, you can walk in to the dpm clinic. you need a doc (of some sort) to examine your history, x-rays (past and present) of your foot and new shoe fitting. i have a closet full of prosthetic shoes and braces. all candidates for the bloody trash. in my case, a resident put on a 15 pound cast, after i told the chief dpm that i could not walk safely using axillary crutches. i was weight bearing on my newly operated foot, because the dopo heads didn't want to send me to a rehab to recover.

we all have interesting stories here don't we, rich? and god knows if we will be alive to get our just due.

you need a paper trail for the record. find out if there are x-rays of your foot from '95. x-rays speak louder than words. hopefully you have record of the skin breaks over that fracture. take care kiddo.

I had the plaster cast to the Knee for almost a year on and off. I was doing sprints and spun to run and heard it break sounded like a wooden pencil slowly breaking in to splinters, I knew I had just broke my foot. over a year the bone would drift in and out of place and try to heal at one time it try to heal crooked and broke apart and eventually healed straight but I had damage in my foot from spurs, calcium deposits so they did surgery at Port Smith Naval Hospital and clean the bone.. I have always had constant pain but like so many others we just deal with it My MEB board I had filed for it when I was being showed the door because of my back at 40% in NoV of 95. They mention in my MEB mt foot caused me constant pain but my back pain and radiation to my legs was my primary concren and rated my foot at 0%. I got my c-file it stated I had 2 C&P's over the years 96, 98 if I did I was not there I'd remember that. My foot has never been examined by a VA Doctor or C&P since I left service just that mention in my MEB board that it caused me constant pain, Hell I was 24 I had know idea I could do ant thing about this. Its wasn't like it is now where your told right off the plane by the DAV,VFW, AL an others waiting on you, you were left to fin for your self.......... Rich

Also my scare opens up from time to time right over the bone just tissue if I wear shoes often of if my feet get dry its the first place to open up.......and scab over yuck. sorry for the detail but I had to give you the details..

pattik, the VA is taking care of the shoes, specially made for my feet got to pick the shoes I liked (styles) if I get any % I am going to cue it when I get all this other stuff ironed out. They screwed me then and I didn't even know it. they just did x-ray to make sure it wasn't still broken and a nuclear X-ray for the damage all it said was my bone was healed and not steal broken as for a history I mentioned when ever I went to the VA other than that I couldn't afford a trip 150 round trip miss work miles.