VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim For Depression

Rate this question

roadking

Question

hello all, just want to know if anyone has put in a claim for depression due to chronic pain. I am SC with back and both knees replaced and have been on pain meds for years. Looking for a little direction thanks

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

hello all, just want to know if anyone has put in a claim for depression due to chronic pain. I am SC with back and both knees replaced and have been on pain meds for years. Looking for a little direction thanks

if it was me going through all that service connected pain i wouldnt

hesitate to file for depression. have you been seeing a doctor about it?

you know how they are they are going to want some evidence . are

you taking anti depressants . i have heard somewhere you have to be

careful about taking anti depressants and pain meds. that would be another

matter going for you. i would try at least , but you are going to need

i believe some medical evidence. im saying if it were me.

I succesfully filed for depression as secondary due to chronic pain, because I could not enjoy doing the things I used to do in the past like play golf or any sports. You do need to get it documented by going to your Dr and explaining the problems you are having. Your Dr. should then set you up with an evaluation and prescribe some type of anti depressent. Look at the rating criteria for depression and the different categories. Let the Doc know if you are having problems sleeping, anxiety or panic attacks...ect. They only rated me at 10% for my major depression, so I currently have an appeal in. Documentation is the most important thing and have take your time. Build the case before you submit to the VA. If it is weak, they will just deny and then you're fighting an up hill battle. Good luck!

I have several claims secondary to my sc'ed condition, I put in for depression with anxiety, they granted adjustment disorder with mood disorder . When you are going Psych. choose your words carefully they can twist almost any disorder into a personality disorder which gets a big fat donut.

• HadIt.com Elder

Last year I was diagnosed with a Mood Disorder due to a General Medical Condition. The general medical conditions are IVDS, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, and bilateral knee pain. I then got my PCP to sign a nexus letter stating that the mood disorder was "at least as likely as not" related to the above conditions. I then filed for this as secondary to the above mentioned (already service connecte) condition. I was rated at 30% for this condition, and that was a low ball rating that is currently on appeal.

If you have these conditions sc'd already, then get the diagnosis from your PCP and the MH clinic at your VAMC. Get a RX for the depression, and start getting counseling. This can and does help the condition. Then get a nexus form signed. Then once you have all of this, and some medical records built up, file the claim. For information on the rating exam and criteria, click the link in my signature that says mental health claim repository.

I was granted by BVA, entitlement to sc for status post lumbar fusion due to lumbar spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis and left sciatica, based on secondary aggra by the service connected left knee disorder. VARO then gave me a half a----s rating combined of 30%. (10% bilateral knee arthritis, 10% lumbar strain). I am pending DRO denovo review, because I feel the VARO low balled me on the rating. Because my claim reverts to 2001 under the old criteria, I've ask for 60% for IVDS(no fricken lumbar strain) and 20% left leg sciatica. My VA Outpat PCP tries to make me referral appt to mental health for depression, I just have not been able to cross the threshold. So I've been refusing the referral. It is all in VA med records. However, I am in deep sush and getting deeper. I am able to associate with immediate family, but no outside friends. I know I could use the help, I just can't make it to mental health. I could sure use the extra comp money as kids in high school and college. My BVA appeal was so dang long. I'm just so tired, but I know I can never settle for the VA screwing me. My knees and back are killing me. Lastly, been waiting almost 2 months (VA podiatry) for left foot brace as I have slight drop foot. Probably should be rated for that, also.