VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim For Depression

Rate this question

roadking

Question

hello all, just want to know if anyone has put in a claim for depression due to chronic pain. I am SC with back and both knees replaced and have been on pain meds for years. Looking for a little direction thanks

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello, to y'all, Roadking and VMO, a freindly thought regards 'crossing the threshold'. Took me several years after service to do the same. My PCP asked me standard 30 questions when attending a regular appointment. Surprised me that it popped out of my mouth, that I was sad.

Got the referral, then near three months of personal delay being nervous bout bringing up ghosts my first VA psych* c&p 'personality disorder'. The regular VA appointment was very introductory, all about me, family and service background (the basics). Much better than the c&p psych exam years earlier, clueless what to expect, that was a washout.

Having so many medical appointments to attend to really depressed and continues to depress me - SC lumbar, ddd, orthodics, vascular, jaw, mst, etc. Now I have a psych/meds and counselor/talking. Last year or so, many VA visits documented and claim well supported, helped me replace the earlier *'personality disorder' diagnosis to 'major depression.' 30% nearly a decade after service.

Thanks to Hadit, I recieve compensation benefits for depression by being here and staying proactive in getting VA benefits due me.

I hope you too get whats due you, really good advice on the replies posted before me!

Best to ya,

Cg

I was granted by BVA, entitlement to sc for status post lumbar fusion due to lumbar spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis and left sciatica, based on secondary aggra by the service connected left knee disorder. VARO then gave me a half a----s rating combined of 30%. (10% bilateral knee arthritis, 10% lumbar strain). I am pending DRO denovo review, because I feel the VARO low balled me on the rating. Because my claim reverts to 2001 under the old criteria, I've ask for 60% for IVDS(no fricken lumbar strain) and 20% left leg sciatica. My VA Outpat PCP tries to make me referral appt to mental health for depression, I just have not been able to cross the threshold. So I've been refusing the referral. It is all in VA med records. However, I am in deep sush and getting deeper. I am able to associate with immediate family, but no outside friends. I know I could use the help, I just can't make it to mental health. I could sure use the extra comp money as kids in high school and college. My BVA appeal was so dang long. I'm just so tired, but I know I can never settle for the VA screwing me. My knees and back are killing me. Lastly, been waiting almost 2 months (VA podiatry) for left foot brace as I have slight drop foot. Probably should be rated for that, also.
Edited by cowgirl

Are symptoms of depression, PTSD, and mood disorders treated as three different claimable conditions and reconized by the VA??

Are symptoms of depression, PTSD, and mood disorders treated as three different claimable conditions and reconized by the VA??

Comp will only be paid for one MH issue no matter how many they say you have.

If you have been diagnosed with PTSD, depression, and anxiety--you will only be compensated for one mental disability. The most dominant disability will be be evaluated. For instance, in the above scenario, if PTSD is the major illness--the diagnosis will be PTSD to include depression and anxiety, or PTSD with symptoms of depression and anxiety.