VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

RickyDee

Question

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I too have sleep apnea. I've been told it is a rather common condition among overweight veterans. The CPAP machine is the most common treatment mode used by the VA. I personally could not use this because I am a restless sleeper and the air passage "mask" keeps coming off during the night... so I chose to live without it. That is probably not a good choice considering all the risks involved... but who knows??

I've seen a post or two where vets were able to get this service connected but I think they proved it was related to other SC ailments.

I too have sleep apnea. I've been told it is a rather common condition among overweight veterans. The CPAP machine is the most common treatment mode used by the VA. I personally could not use this because I am a restless sleeper and the air passage "mask" keeps coming off during the night... so I chose to live without it. That is probably not a good choice considering all the risks involved... but who knows??

I've seen a post or two where vets were able to get this service connected but I think they proved it was related to other SC ailments.

Erich - check out my posts from earlier this year on SA and how I got it SC even though it was diagnosed AFTER I retired.

I HAD A SLEEP APNEA DONE FOR THE SECOND TIME ON NOV 4, THIS TIME THEY ALLOWED ME TO USE THE CPAP. IS THERE ANY IDEA THEY WILL ISSUE ME ONE. I SLEPT A WHOLE LOT BETTER WHEN I WORE THE CPAP, AND THAT'S ONE OF THE QUESTIONS THE EXAMINER ASK ME ( HOW DID I SLEEP WITH CPAP). I'M JUST WAITING FOR THE DR. TO READ THE NOTES FROM THE EXAMINER. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THEM TO CONTACT YOU?

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that they issue the CPAP if you need it in their opinion. If you have any other insurance it will pay most of cost. I had a medicare CPAP for 2 years before the VA coughed up. I had to pay 19 bucks a month and for the masks and filters had a copay and finally I asked VA to do it. I took the overnight and they issued me a CPAP before I went home. Had to take it twice though