VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independent Medical Examiners

Rate this question

Tuco49316

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

An easier way is to find a Attorney who does nothing but Social Security claims and ask them who they use for Independant medical Opinions or examinations.

They usually use Occupational Doctors. These Docs know how to put your disability into perspective.

J

Thanks for your insight J.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you used a lawyer for SSD ask them for a list of Docs that they use. If not call them and ask if they do VA and when they say know ask humbly in that case would you mind telling me a few Docs that you use for IMO's. You will find someone but its not easy

Good Luck

And, ya never know with a doctor about what his "attitude" is concerning "medical opinions".

I had one, an orthopaedic surgeon, that got really twisted, when I told him that I needed his "medical opinion" for the VA. Said something about people always wanting to get something for nothing, and refused to even look at the x-rays that I had brought with me and I wound up just getting up and walking out of his office.

Funny thing about it was, he is one of the orthopaedic surgeons that my wife recovers his patients after surgery, she sees him every day, she is the one that recommended me to get him to give me the opinion in the first place. She had always gone out of her way to make sure that his patients were never delayed, between the OR and Recovery and Recovery to their hospital rooms....always went out of her way to take really good care of this doctor.....she had a really high opinion of him.

He couldn't understand why she started treating him and his patients with NO extra special care.

So, he asked her why.

She just said "Well, it's just like you told my husband when he came to see you, people are always wanting something for nothing.........".

I wouldn't start a list of "preferred" doctors. Heck, my wife has been working with them for 30 years and you see what happened with her and her opinion.

You're just ON YOU OWN as far as I'm concerned.

I have been seeing a new physchiatrist for about several months. On my first visit I explained that I would need a letter from him to submit to the VA in support of my claim. He seemed very reluctant; I later learned that he also rotates at the VA medical center. Well, very recently, I asked him if he reviewed my medical records and if he was willing to provide a medical opinion on my behalf. In three to four months he has not reviewed them and informed me that he does not know if that is his proper role, so he will need to check with his boss for an answer. He asked what exactly I wanted him to do. I responded, review my private medical records and service treatment records and provide a medical opinion as to whether or not my disability is related to service. Moreover, I said he did not have to say it is certain--that he could state, it is my medical opinion, after reviewing private records and military records, that his mental disability is at least as likely as not related to servioce. Nevertheless, the physician seemed uncomfortable. Thus, I will obtain an IMO and seek another psychiatrist. I was not trying to lead / guide him in anyway. I told him to examine the evidence and offer a medical opinion based on them. For whatever reason he does not appear willing to do it, although I do have some ideas.