VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ankle Surgery

Rate this question

mjofdagame

Question

if you never had anything but and ankle sprang in service. And now you have to have surgery on your right foot.Because of arthritis.But had surgery on right knee.Can you make it or get service connected? And what would be the percentage?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

so you had a spranged ankle in service and you had surgery on your right knee and now you have arthirits in your foot and they are going to operate on your right foot for arthritis and you want to get your right foot service connected and want to know what percentage it would be?or you want to get your spranged ankle service connected and want to know what the percentage would be?or you had surgery on your right knee and want to get it service connected and want to know what the percentage would be?

right?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can show that the knee problem has contributed to the ankle problem you might get there. I don't think a sprained ankle will get you there unless you broke the ankle. I could be wrong.

• HadIt.com Elder

I see that you are showing 50% disability. Is this 50% for your knee? Is your knee Service Connected?

C'mon guy, we're fishin' here.

so you had a spranged ankle in service and you had surgery on your right knee and now you have arthirits in your foot and they are going to operate on your right foot for arthritis and you want to get your right foot service connected and want to know what percentage it would be?or you want to get your spranged ankle service connected and want to know what the percentage would be?or you had surgery on your right knee and want to get it service connected and want to know what the percentage would be?

right?

Sorry so vague.Well i had surgery on my right knee s/c 10%.asthma 30% & flat feet 10%. So i guess my question is that the Va s/c me for djd 0% and now i have been diagnosed with arthritis in my right foot(the top of the foot) by the v. a. The V.A wants me to take surgery to fuse the bone together.For as the sprang ankle goes i have it my records but i broke my ankle before i got in the service.And i guess i meant would it be s/c for the surgery by the v.a and what percentage?

• HadIt.com Elder

The foot bone is connected to the shin bone. The shin bone is connected to the knee bone. the knee bone is connected to the...you get my point :o

If you have sc'd knee problems, then you most likely have a altered gate. There is mucho medical research out there that concludes that if a person has knee problems that have led to a altered gait, that will in turn lead to inflammatory foot diseases. Arthritis is a inflammatory foot disease.

I found this for ya, too! Plenty more of it to be found on the net.

Also, a sudden and traumatic injury such as a broken bone, torn ligament, or moderate ankle sprain can cause the injured joint to become arthritic in the future. Sometimes a traumatic injury will result in arthritis in the injured joint even though the joint received proper medical care at the time of injury.

Go for it! The first thing you need to do is get your VA doc to sign a "nexus" form linking the ankle sprain and the altered gait from the knee to the foot arthritis. This will be THE key peice of evidence (along with your SMR's showing the ankle sprain) in winning this claim. It will most likely be granted under dx code 5284 Foot Injuries, other, but may be granted under dx code 5003 Arthritis, degenerative. Either way I wouldn't expect more than a 10% rating, You might qualify for a convalescent rating after the surgery, which would be 100% percent for the duration of the necessary convalescence.

I had a plantar faciitis claim granted on this basis last summer.

thanx a bunch for the information