VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What The Hell...

Rate this question

jaynalbu

Question

Ok so last Friday I received a letter from the VA telling me that my disability rating had been increased to 100%. I went down to the PH VSP office to get a letter for the local AF Post so that I could get on and get my new CAC card and was told that my 100% was temporary and thus my wife and children do not get any health insurance. The kids are on Med. But the State office says that my VA disability is to high and is considered as unearned income. Go figure I thought I earned it. Anyway. They tell me that I do not get px/commissary privileges or anything. I am glad to have the extra money. I DO NOT plan on reporting the increase. This will most likely come back to bite me in the butt. But, what the hell. My disability is PTSD and Hearing loss as well as Tinnitus. None of these can improve. I just don't understand. Any clarification or translation would be greatly appreciated. Also, what can I expect to have to go through to keep this and get my family the benefits?

Thank you all in advance.

Jason

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

For some reason most of the VARO's are on this kick of not awarding 100 percent for PTSD on a P&T bases at the begining. It is probably due to the fact that they have come out with all this crap about cureing PTSD. Just hang in there and speak with your treating doc about the issue. When will give you an IMO stating that there is no way your issue will improve therefore it will remain static then ask them to make you P&T.

• HadIt.com Elder

You are under no obligation to report any money you get from the VA. In my opinion the intent of Congress is that VA Disability not be subject to taxes, withholding, liens or other garnishments. When filling out forms I do not report unless the box specifically says VA Disability.

This is my opinion and I am sticking by it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jason, what did your award letter say about future exams?? Even if you are not P&T you should still be eligible for the ID cards, for MWR, they will just have an expiration date, on them, not indefinite like those for P&T vets. I believe you should get all privileges on base. What is the "PH VSP" office?

pr

Ok so last Friday I received a letter from the VA telling me that my disability rating had been increased to 100%. I went down to the PH VSP office to get a letter for the local AF Post so that I could get on and get my new CAC card and was told that my 100% was temporary and thus my wife and children do not get any health insurance. The kids are on Med. But the State office says that my VA disability is to high and is considered as unearned income. Go figure I thought I earned it. Anyway. They tell me that I do not get px/commissary privileges or anything. I am glad to have the extra money. I DO NOT plan on reporting the increase. This will most likely come back to bite me in the butt. But, what the hell. My disability is PTSD and Hearing loss as well as Tinnitus. None of these can improve. I just don't understand. Any clarification or translation would be greatly appreciated. Also, what can I expect to have to go through to keep this and get my family the benefits?

Thank you all in advance.

Jason

I assume you got s retro check-

P & T is required for the ancillary 100% benefits-

I suggest you invest some of the retro into getting a IMO that states with full rationale that your conditions are permanent and total-

Do you get SSA for these conditions too?

Did the SSA medicsl findings state you were P & T? Probably not but it sure pays to try to get the P & T status.

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to get back in to see your VA psychiatrist/physician's assistant/nurse practitioner and explain to them what you are facing with the state dept of welfare and with the VA Regional Office (you did request the letter from them so you could get your MWR card from the military base, didn't you?). Simply tell them that you need a brief statement from them that your PTSD does not appear that it will improve any time in the forseeable future (this gives them some "wiggle room" as far as the dianosis goes, and gives the VARO enough reason to issue "The Letter"). They (the psych peeps) will be happy to do this for you. Tell 'em the "stress" that you are suffering due to your financial situation. That'll help put the cork in that bottle.

If you can't get a timely appointment with them, just type up a request and drop it by the psych clinic with your doc's name on it. That'll do it.

Then, take the statement that you asked them for, by your POA and request that they send it to the VARO with a request for your magic letter.

Then, fax the statement to your local congressperson's office and ask that their VA liason person also so FAX it to the VARO.

That way, you KNOW that the VA received it. Si'?