VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P Exam (knee)

Rate this question

pattrick

Question

I'll try to keep this brief, Surgery on right knee 20 years ago and problem has been chronic. My own Ortho Surgeon stated directly to me that my problem is directly related to my previous surgery (active duty military football injury).

Here are the results: Range of motion full, Lachamns positive, McMurray's positive.

X-Ray= Joint Space Narrowing, degenerative changes along the medial meniscus.

MRI=1.findings consistent with Chronic, Complete ACL disruption with fibrosis may result in soft or absend end point on physical exam, Secondary instability of the tibia relative to the femur. 2. High-Grade chondromalacia, medial tibial plateau resulting in intermediate stress fracture (reaction). 3. Suprapatellar plical synovitis, patellofemoral chondromalacia, grade 3-4.

Doctor said he could perform surgery but couldn't guarantee it would help

Any advice on what to expect? Thanks in Advance!

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well had my C&P exam last Monday the 17th and everything went well, the VA doctor was a lot more thorough than even my own Ortho Dr. (Hats off to the VAMC in Johnson City, Tn). The Dr. assured me that my knee problem is service connected he just didn't know the compensation, or wasn't willing to say.

My range of motion was measured totally different than my ortho office it was done with my leg off the table, I came in at 95 degrees which I really don't know if that's good or bad. What I don't understand is that they didn't have my service medical records, it appears that the region has them, that didn't help the VA Dr. a whole lot.

All in all, a good visit and enjoyed my time there. I even put in my name to volunteer my off time there, we'll see what happens!

• HadIt.com Elder

Glad it went well. It sounds like the PA that I usually have did yours, too. The results are usually ready to pick up in 1-2 weeks. You can call them and have them mail it if you want. You can call them at 1-877-573-3529 and ask for the Release of Information Office. I have their extension somewhere here, but I can't find it now. There is also a form that you will need to sign and fax/mail in in order to get your record. You can find the form on their web page. Of course, the easiest way to get the results is to drive down there and have them print it off while you wait. Takes about 5 minutes, tops.

Read and understand the codes that apply to the knees. Make sure you understand about functional loss and the Deluca factors. The best advise I can give you is to go to the VA web site and search BVA appeals reguarding the knees. These do not sent precident, but they provide good guidance on how the codes are applied.

• HadIt.com Elder

Merry Christmas pattrick. Do you have your military medical records of the knee injury?50 miles is a long way to visit a VA. I hope you get the knee service connected, Then we can talk about fee basis doctors closer to home.

The regional office has my military medical records. Actually the VA Hospital is closer to 75 miles away, I have my own Orthopedic Surgeon close to where I live and he wants to open up my knee but doesn't know if it will help any due to the chronic condition.

I've also went thru the VA's BVA sight and there seems to be a million cases in there about knee problems. I'm still waiting for a decision from the VA on my claim.

Happy New Year To All!