VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Are My Options?

Rate this question

dicple13

Question

maybe someone can help me. I am currently employed with a government agency as a supply tech. I am digansoed with chronic PTSD and on my C&P exam back in Feb.08 the examing physician put in writing that I was only employable under a stress free environment with limited interaction from coworkers,whom I have had a bad history with. I do not get along well with the people I work with. I have been suspended for 10 days for a incident and now another has occurred where a propsed termination was a possible option.I am not serviced connected for my PTSD it is in appeal. My employer says there is no way to accomadate me because of my condition.What are my options?

Thanks!

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You are not going to belive this,I was denied the first time because the VA claim I had no proof of being a Combat Veteran. My MOS was 19Delta Cavalry Scout I was with a Combat Unit, 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment . I do not have any CIB,s Bronze Stars,or a Purple Heart. So, that being said I was not in Combat ,according to the VA. By the way, I appreciate everyone suggestions and information that was provided.

• HadIt.com Elder

I definitely believe it. You will still need to prove that you were there, or you will lose your appeal. You need to point out your combat service with your DD214, the awards of the Southwest Asia Service Medal, both Liberation of Kuwait Medals, and any unit documentation that you can come up with. Buddy letters can help. If you have any envelopes from those letters back home that are postmarked with the unit's address, those could be helpful as well. You've got the proof, you've just got to get enough of it to shove down their throats. I sometimes think they believe the only folks in combat are infantrymen and medics. I don't remember ever being awarded "combat aircrew wings," although I think there is such a award now.

Guess what? I submitted a buddy letter from a guy who not only served with me in 2nd ACR but we also did Basic & AIT together at Ft.Knox he is still in the Army and provided me another letter. I had my DD214-215 have those awards SWA,Kuwaitt and I also received from my unit a Unit Valarous Award ,still a no go. I provided copies of my orders sending me to this unit and orders promoting me fom E-02 to PFC while in Desert Storm with unit. I also had copies of my LES showing I did receive Danger Pay. The first time I just gave up and did not appeal ,but now I am determined to see this through. It's like a game to those people at the VA but do they understand what folks go through and have to put up with just to receive their benefits. It is very frustrating.

You are not going to belive this,I was denied the first time because the VA claim I had no proof of being a Combat Veteran. My MOS was 19Delta Cavalry Scout I was with a Combat Unit, 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment . I do not have any CIB,s Bronze Stars,or a Purple Heart. So, that being said I was not in Combat ,according to the VA. By the way, I appreciate everyone suggestions and information that was provided.

This happened to me, I was denied for the same reason. I filed initially in 1997. Was denied three times before 2006 and the VA did not really give any specific reasons in detail in the SSOC until 2006. I could not grasp as to why I was denied the first three times. In 2006 I got a call from a SO in what they call "duty to assist". When the SO call called me he said if you can prove you had your (boots on the Gounod) we think we can get you rated. I almost blew a fuse. I said you have no less than 12 different documents stating I spent one whole year with my boots on the ground, that was after my 2 years of sea duty of the coast of Nam. The VA was only recognizing my blue water Navy and ignoring my one year with my boots on the ground shore duty. I told the SO, you have my Navy Achievement Medal with the combat V device certificate and a citation from the Secretary of the Navy for meritorious duty under fire, my combat action ribbon, my Vietnam campaign and service medals with 4 bronze stars, my Navy Unit Commendation ribbon for that period, Presidential unit citation ribbon for Vietnam service, Gallantry Cross with the palm leaf. He said send that all to me. I said OK I have already sent it and they already have it but I will send it again. I sent it all to them again and was rated within 6 months. The truth is, they don't look at nothing you send until like rentalguy says, until you shove it down their throats. Problem is they only gave me one year back pay. The VA will spend at least two years trying to frustrate the Vietnam Vet to give up before they even look at your stuff. The only choice you have is to play their game and not quit. The Iraq vet gets a little more attention now. Later down the road they will be treated the same way that us Vietnam Vets are. They better grab all they can and while they can.