VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Conection

Rate this question

schauba

Question

I was in iraq and suffered from chest pain and shortness of breath. When i went to sick call they treated me as muscle pain i told them that i think i have asmha. I am out of the military and i have asmha but they denied my service connection because of nothing in my medical records. What else can I do?

• Answers 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Has it been more than a year since you got out of the service. I had the same problem with TMJ. They did not diagnosis it in the army even though I was examined for it. If there is nothing in your medical records you are going to have a problem.

Guest Namvet6567

Sorry Mike, I disagree here but you are free not to assist. I prefer to let the VA make the decision. Helping someone with their claim would not be assisting a fraud, unless you advised them to lie. Additionally, Shauba would have two discharges which could free him from his youthful error. I recommend he prosecute the claim. Besides he may have believed he was cured of his youthful asthma, at the time, as his symptoms had subsided or deceased. Who are we to judge?????????????

• HadIt.com Elder

My 1st instinct on this post was that it was a posed question from the VA. That being so, I was still going to give the veteran's question the benefit of the doubt FIRST. He said he wanted in the Army. He admitted he had childhood asthma. Who told him he had asthma when he was a kid? Maybe it was childhood anxiety.

There's NO way he would have gotten through boot camp without experiencing his asthma, if he had it at all! Boot Camp is HARD!!

Childhood symptoms of Asthma do NOT amout to a valid diagnosis. My daughter has a prescription for an inhaler but she has not been diagnosed with asthma.

If this is some VA Poser, I'm not going to let him/her push my fear buttons. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and without an M.D.'s diagnosis of childhood asthma, I would definately file a claim, maybe for aggravation too. Who knows what his environmental exposers were in Iraq? Do you?

The entrance military EXAM is never thorough and complete: they can run recruits through faster than piss when they want to. Show me the regulation that says I can't be a grunt if I have asthma - and what if I have never taken medications for asthma, what if I just have a problem getting enough air when I'm anxious or exposed to smoke, for example, like DUH, he said he is service-connected for allergies!

If he wasn't diagnosed with Asthma at the time of enlistment, he could of told them, what: when I was a kid I had a hard time catching my breath when I would play sports? Or, I have a hard time breathing when my allergies kick up . . . Was he MEDICALLY DIAGNOSED with ASTHMA prior to enlistment - or only after discharge???

WTF, There's a few more questions you could ask the young man before you decide his claim is fraudulent!!

If we don't give him the benefit of the doubt, why would we expect the VA too???

BTW, he could still have gotten in the Army with asthma and a medical WAIVER -- if he had asthma at all!

JMHO.

Hey, you can't get a TATOO while active-duty either - - hahahaha!!

Edited by Wings

ok when i was young i suffered from asthma but when i got older it got better.

Yes the diagnosis was done by two different doctors and i asked them could they tell if i had asthma when i was younger and they said no.

By the above two statements, there is NO question as to this posters intent. If my claim is waiting under this one I hope we meet.

Time

• HadIt.com Elder

Adora

Good response. Not that I expect it will have any effect.

Closed minds are unwilling to adopt a different point of view, and sanctimonius attitudes are usually indicative of a closed mind.

My Motto: The day you stop learning, is the day you start dying.

Schauba

Go ahead and appeal your rating. History is full of soldiers who LIED on there application to enter the service and they served with distinction. I am sure many of us know individuals who were underage or hid arrest records and served with honor.

Your long service record should override the denials. Appeal based on medical evidence and you should win.