VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help If Disablity Or Death Occurs Within 1 Yr

Rate this question

Testvet

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

and it can be linked to service where in what manual does it state within a 12 month period after discharge from active duty? A widow is having trouble with the VA and I know the rule exists because my stroke happened within a year of discharge and it should be SC I am justhaving a brain fart right now and don't know where in which manual it states the one year rule thanks Mike hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know that if you file within one year of discharge it is considered differently than if you wait ten years. I filed for my mental condition within a year of discharge and got 10%. If I had waited I would have been denied. I know that.

Do you mean the regs for certain chronic conditions Mike?

"a chronic disease becoming manifest to a degree of 10 percent or more within one year from the date of separation from service"

can be service connected. (38 USC 1112(a) and 38 CFR 3.307

(Fortuck V Principi)

I would think a service connect death award could be made under this reg as well.

(if the condition causing or contributing to death was manifested at 10% during first year after service.

However this presumptive direct SC regulation only applies to those conditions that are listed within 38 USc 1101 or 38 CFR 3.309.

• HadIt.com Elder

thanks all Berta came up with the same answer I found I have been down since the day I posted it sick and me get bad lol no I had a widow of an Air Force Major ask me and I couldn't think of it, then I went to the CFRs 3.309 led me to 3.307 her husband had a brain tumor and died within a year of return from Iraq so he fits the bill and she should win but we all know how they play