VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Working

Rate this question

matt

Question

Hello everyone,

I am a member and have posted a few times. i am currently awaiting my c and p for PTSD. I am a forced retired National Guard Officer, that has deployed a few times over my 21 years. I filed back in april 08 and have had a cp for hearing and one last week for my back, however, i am still awaiting my c and p for PTSD. I have an appt with my regular Dr. this coming friday and want to discuss with him about how I go out on short and long term dis with my company benefits. unfortunately, at this point, i do not think i should be working as I am just wasting the companies money as I am having some pretty big hardships in concentration hallucinations etc...I called my VA shrink for a hurry up appt and the soonist is dec 19th. this is crazy...I need specialized care pretty much once a week or more. I don't know what too do. i can't lose the job, which I am pretty much in danger of doing and I can't quite do to needing the money to pay bills, feed the kids things of those nture. such a catch 22. My VSO told me until I am SC, he cannot submit paperwork for disability. any thougths would be appreciated.

Matt

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

[ name=matt' date='Dec 1 2008, 09:15 AM' post='116504]

Hello everyone,

I am a member and have posted a few times. i am currently awaiting my c and p for PTSD.

Welcome to Hadit matt.

I am a forced retired National Guard Officer, that has deployed a few times over my 21 years.

How were you forced to retire - what was the reason?

I filed back in april 08 and have had a cp for hearing and one last week for my back, however, i am still awaiting my c and p for PTSD. I have an appt with my regular Dr. this coming friday and want to discuss with him about how I go out on short and long term dis with my company benefits. unfortunately, at this point, i do not think i should be working as I am just wasting the companies money as I am having some pretty big hardships in concentration hallucinations etc...

Be sure to get copies of progress notes and/or treatment records to include RX's

from your private doctor. Do you have a current diagnosis of PTSD ?

Is it from your private doctor and/or VA doc's ?

If you have lost time at work or been sent home due to medical conditions - get copies of this also.

I called my VA shrink for a hurry up appt and the soonist is dec 19th. this is crazy...I need specialized care pretty much once a week or more. I don't know what too do. i can't lose the job, which I am pretty much in danger of doing and I can't quite do to needing the money to pay bills, feed the kids things of those nture. such a catch 22. My VSO told me until I am SC, he cannot submit paperwork for disability. any thougths would be appreciated.

Your VSO is a fruitcake - how are you supposed to get SC'd without any paperwork.

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

welcome to hadit matt...

and yes, carlie is right.....your vso doesn't know what he/she is talking about! the first thing you need to do is get rid of the vso.

it is possible to do your own claim, many other vets have do their own (i did) and you can too. get ALL of your medical & mental health records from all the docs you've seen.

there is a link on vawatchdog.org that goes step-by-step on how to file a claim. it's not hard; just takes time and patience.

Thanks carlie,

I was forced to retire from the North Carolina National Guard on a board, it states that I had 1 of three choices: fight it, reitre and transfer to retired reserve or leave the service. it also states the casues: back ddd, ptsd and knees. which my vso said proves my ptsd.

I have a diagnosis from salisbury VA for PTSD with a gaf of 51, from dec 07. I have been seeing a va shrink for the past year, but only once a month. I swithced jobs with my employer and now kinda limited to seei them as i really cannot miss work. all my copies from the va are with my vso, i spoke with my private family dr. a year ago regarding seeing s shirnk for ptsd, but not sure if he documented that conversation. as well as submitted with my claim..

Matt

[ name=matt' date='Dec 1 2008, 09:15 AM' post='116504]

Hello everyone,

I am a member and have posted a few times. i am currently awaiting my c and p for PTSD.

Welcome to Hadit matt.

I am a forced retired National Guard Officer, that has deployed a few times over my 21 years.

How were you forced to retire - what was the reason?

I filed back in april 08 and have had a cp for hearing and one last week for my back, however, i am still awaiting my c and p for PTSD. I have an appt with my regular Dr. this coming friday and want to discuss with him about how I go out on short and long term dis with my company benefits. unfortunately, at this point, i do not think i should be working as I am just wasting the companies money as I am having some pretty big hardships in concentration hallucinations etc...

Be sure to get copies of progress notes and/or treatment records to include RX's

from your private doctor. Do you have a current diagnosis of PTSD ?

Is it from your private doctor and/or VA doc's ?

If you have lost time at work or been sent home due to medical conditions - get copies of this also.

I called my VA shrink for a hurry up appt and the soonist is dec 19th. this is crazy...I need specialized care pretty much once a week or more. I don't know what too do. i can't lose the job, which I am pretty much in danger of doing and I can't quite do to needing the money to pay bills, feed the kids things of those nture. such a catch 22. My VSO told me until I am SC, he cannot submit paperwork for disability. any thougths would be appreciated.

Your VSO is a fruitcake - how are you supposed to get SC'd without any paperwork.

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

Also,

I may have typed before i thought it out correctly, my VSO, has actually filed my cliam back in Apr, however, he canot help me file for SSI disability or SSD until i have been found SC for PTSD. He just wasn't sure how to go to my dr. to ask to be placed on short term dis. i just reviewed my company policy on that and it states i have to fill out a packet and discuss it with my manager, then sign a bunch of info relsease forms, where metlife will ask my dr for the information and make a review in about 15 days. i just have trouble disclosing this to my employer, but at this point I need too. It is probably not good that i am having hallucinations while driving, the dr took me off sertraline and put me on another drug to try and help me sleep and relax..

Matt

• HadIt.com Elder

First you don't need a VSO to file for SSD. Second if you are waiting for VA to SC you before you file for SSD that is a big mistake.

You file for SSD when you are no longer working

You can call SSD and file over the phone.

[ name=matt' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:20 AM' post='116516]

Also,

I may have typed before i thought it out correctly, my VSO, has actually filed my cliam back in Apr, however, he canot help me file for SSI disability or SSD until i have been found SC for PTSD.

Matt, A VSO most likely (under no circumstances) would not help you file for SSA benefits.

That is not something a VSO does.

He just wasn't sure how to go to my dr. to ask to be placed on short term dis.

Why is your VSO getting involved with your short term disability at work ?

i just reviewed my company policy on that and it states i have to fill out a packet and discuss it with my manager, then sign a bunch of info relsease forms, where metlife will ask my dr for the information and make a review in about 15 days. i just have trouble disclosing this to my employer, but at this point I need too.

Matt - what medical problems are you having trouble with disclosing to your employer ?

It is probably not good that i am having hallucinations while driving, the dr took me off sertraline and put me on another drug to try and help me sleep and relax..

Matt - why does your doctor say you are having hallucinations -----

hallucinations are not a part of PTSD - flashback's yes, but not hallucinations.

Do you have additional Mental Health issues that are co-morbid with your PTSD ?

Something doesn't sound right with this VSO at all. This VSO is getting OVERLY involved

with things that they have no business in. These are highly questionable actions.

carlie