Jump to content
  • Latest Donations

  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Available Subscriptions


Did you know that a new law allows retirees with under 20 years of active service, to recive retirement and V.A. comp. When filing for military CRSC retirement pay for combat wounded vets with PTSD, be sure your VASRD code# is listed as 9411. I was rated many years ago, before PTSD was recognized in 1980. My old VARSD # is not considered combat related. I now had to reaply for PTSD with the V.A.. I requested that the PTSD origin date go back to my first PTSD type rating date of 1978. I don't know if they will do it. I got my first CRSC Army retirement pay check this month. Hold on to your hats,...$42.00 a month.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) was signed into law on January 29, 2008 to include Chapter 61, a new component for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC). This legislation expands eligibility to medical retirees with less than 20 years of service, effective January1,2008. Medically retired veterans must still provide documentation that shows a causal link between a current VA disability and a combat related event. Each Branch of the military has it's own CRSC section. I successfully completed my application process through the Army CRSC unit. I first called them at (866) 281 3254, and they sent me the application and helped me get through the process. It took a couple of months before the concurrent VA comp and the Army CRSC retirement pay started. For many of us, it's not much more money, depending on your rank and time in service, ( most of us eligible now, were just cannon fodder that didn't last long.) At the end of all the red tape and waiting involved, I'll take the win. However humble the reward, sometimes it's the thought that counts

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


commander bob has told you correctly. Anyone, AD of reserve or National Guard that is retired for disability (have to be over 30% by your service, inorder to be retired anyways) and has a VA rating can apply for CRSC pay. These retirees are what is called Chapter 61 retirees, meaning they did less then the 20 yrs. You quaiify if you are on TDRL as well as PDRL for the combat related injuries. If you got out because of multiple conditions, yet the smallest is of the combat nature, then that is what you will file for. You may not get much of anything, or nothing at all. The key is getting approved. Once your approved if your combat related injury changes then so does your crsc amount. There are a few methods of computing your crsc offset amount, which can be rather confusing. I'm still learning myself, but I just wanted to piggyback what the commander had stated.

Key points once again

  • Medically retired from service due to disabilities prior to 20 yrs of service, called chapter 61 retirees.
  • TDRL and PDRL qualify
  • only injuries combat related, PTSD is considered combat related as well, can be filed for with your own branch of service.
  • current reirement pay - minus if you had done 20 yrs pay and difference is the offset ( i believe, it gets confusing becuase of your time in service.
  • so if your combat disability amount of your retirement pay is smaller then the offset, then you wouldnt get anything but it could change in the future. If your percentage is higher then the offset, then this is added in addition to your VA pay.

hope I helped and didnt confuse more.......happy holidays

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding Marine. Well put USMC HVEQ. Remember; the PTSD has to be linked to combat related.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Ad Free Subscriptions to the Forum available
      Ad free subscriptions are available for the forum. Subscriptions give you the forums ad free and help support the forum and site. Monthly $5 Annually $50 https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/

      Every bit helps - Thank you.

      • 0 replies
    • Choosing a VA Disability Attorney Means Learning What Questions to Ask
      Choosing a VA Disability Attorney Means Learning What Questions to Ask. Chris Attig - Veterans Law Blog 

      <br style="color:#000000; text-align:start">How to Hire an Attorney For Your VA Claim or Appeal Free Guidebook available on the Veterans Law Blog

      I got an email the other day from a Veteran.  It had 2 or 3 sentences about his claim, and then closed at the end: “Please call me. So-and-so told me you were the best and I want your help.”

      While I appreciate the compliments, I shudder a little at emails like this.  For 2 reasons.

      First, I get a lot of emails like this.  And while I diligently represent my clients – I often tell them we will pursue their claim until we have no more appeals or until we win – I am most assuredly not the best.

      There are a LOT of damn good VA Disability attorneys out there.  (Most, if not all, of the best are members of the National Organization of Veterans Advocates…read about one of them, here)

      Second, I don’t want Veterans to choose their attorney based on who their friend thought was the best.  I want Veterans to choose the VA Disability attorney who is BEST for their case.

      In some situations, that may be the Attig Law Firm.

      But it may also be be Hill and Ponton, or Chisholm-Kilpatrick, or Bergman Moore.  Or any one of the dozens of other attorneys who have made the representation of Veterans their professional life’s work.

      There are hundreds of attorneys that are out there representing Veterans, and I’m here to tell you that who is best for your friend’s case may not be the best for your case.

      How do you Find the Best VA Disability Attorney for your Claim?

      First, you have to answer the question: do you NEED an attorney?

      Some of you don’t...
      • 1 reply
    • VA Emergency Medical Care
      VA Emergency Medical Care
      • 3 replies
    • Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act
      Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act
      • 0 replies
    • Thanks Berta for your help. I did receive my 100% today for my IU claim on 6/20/2018. It only took 64 days to complete and it is p&t. Thanks for your words of wisdom. 

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines