VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd But Can't Prove Stressor

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am helping a Veteran who definitely has PTSD but served in Navy. The VAMC diagnoses him with PTSD and Depression but the problem is he served in Blue Water Navy and was attacked on boat as well as exposed to bodies.

I went through trying to get somewhere in 1992 but he would no cooperate and VA would not help.

In my mind his safest bet is to claim Depression serviced connected. Has anyone ever heard of Major Depression with PTSD as a Secondary.

The Veteran is my Brother I gave up and it was easy to get him a Pension 5 years ago but it irks me that he is not getting full benefits.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

PTSD, secondary to depression is an unlikely diagnosis, but the reverse is very likely: Depression is often a co-morbid occurance.

Pete, Search BVA for +PTSD +Dead Bodies, search just in 2008, for example:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files2/0812227.txt

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files2/0812437.txt

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files1/0800184.txt

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files4/0831621.txt

You don't have to read the entiire document, just the first paragraph or two, where it will say "findings of fact"

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete,

What are his Westpac Cruise dates? Have a friend that was on USS Princeton that had similar experience. He was working in the morgue. Wonderful job, but the contact off of coast of Vietnam

near Gio Linh was the stressor that worked in his case.

Don

• HadIt.com Elder

Having the same issue currently I am waiting for the JRRSC to send me the documentation that they sent the VA AMC that they claim they never got. If the VA requested it you can call and verify that at 703-428-6801. Also you can send a written request to JRRSC, 7701 Telegraph Rd, Kingman BLDG, SUITE 2C08, Alexandria, VA 22315 for a copy of what they sent to the VA.

Wings, thank you for the links on your post. That gave me some ideas for submittal of evidence. I am sitting on a pile of stuff I would have never thought to send those folks at the AMC.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don:

Mt brother was sent to Galley as Punishment sort of Permanent KP or something like that. Because of the heat those guys stayed in the Refrigerators as much as they could and in the refrigerator were bodies held till they could be sent back. That was one stressor.

His other was he worked for a guy who tried to kill him and vice versa. He has PTSD and the VAMC in Dallas said he has PTSD major case of it by the way. We fought for years to get SC but ended up with a pension.

We are trying to decide to reopen claim with new evidence the diagnosis pf PTSD from Dallas VAMC or what. This is very frustrating now that I am told I am wrong that you have to prove a stressor to get SC for PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder
Don:

Mt brother was sent to Galley as Punishment sort of Permanent KP or something like that. Because of the heat those guys stayed in the Refrigerators as much as they could and in the refrigerator were bodies held till they could be sent back. That was one stressor.

His other was he worked for a guy who tried to kill him and vice versa. He has PTSD and the VAMC in Dallas said he has PTSD major case of it by the way. We fought for years to get SC but ended up with a pension.

We are trying to decide to reopen claim with new evidence the diagnosis pf PTSD from Dallas VAMC or what. This is very frustrating now that I am told I am wrong that you have to prove a stressor to get SC for PTSD.

Pete, Unless the veteran "engaged in combat with the enemy", his lay testimony must be supported by Evidence. ~Wings