VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Blue Water Vet & Ao

Rate this question

Seadog

Question

Hi all!

Been browsing the site for some time, and finally joined today.

I have scoured all the posts looking for answers pertaining to my question, and didn't find what I was looking for. If I have overlooked something, please be gentle with me.

I received my CAR on Sept. 1972 in Nam. My DD214 has it, but no VSM (received it on ship). I have sent for a 215 a week ago. Anyhow, the VA denied my SC saying I was Vietnam Era.

Have prostate cancer, a tumor in my right femur (they have been trying to get a biopsie, but the prostate surgery keeps pushing it back), and a few others that are on the presumptive list.

I filed a NOD with my VSO, and he stated I didn't have much of a chance. But in my way of thinking, a CAR is the same as being in country. Got combat pay and all, but no boots on ground.

Would like other member opinions on what I can do, if anything. Am I in the Haas debacle for the duration?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Unless yu can prove incountry (even one boot on ground) -yu are under the Haas moratorium and this issue has not been favorably resolved yet for BWN vets.

Haas has been appealed to the Supreme Court and also HR 6562 has gained some momentum-still Blue Water AO vets have a long ways to go>It has been very frustrating. I have been involved in the BWN AO issue for a long time.

"I received my CAR on Sept. 1972 in Nam"

In Nam? that is all you need for incountry status- can you prove you got this award "in" Vietnam? Do you have your SRB (Service Record Book tht includes destination /arrival info?

Was the award citation signed by an officer who was in Vietnam and not aboard ship?

Unless yu can prove incountry (even one boot on ground) -yu are under the Haas moratorium and this issue has not been favorably resolved yet for BWN vets.

Haas has been appealed to the Supreme Court and also HR 6562 has gained some momentum-still Blue Water AO vets have a long ways to go>It has been very frustrating. I have been involved in the BWN AO issue for a long time.

"I received my CAR on Sept. 1972 in Nam"

In Nam? that is all you need for incountry status- can you prove you got this award "in" Vietnam? Do you have your SRB (Service Record Book tht includes destination /arrival info?

Was the award citation signed by an officer who was in Vietnam and not aboard ship?

Thank you Berta.

What I meant, was that the Navy told me I was in Vietnam. I received my CAR and VSM aboard ship. No, I never set foot on ground. That is whats confusing to me. I thought somewhere it stated that if you were a combat veteran that you were eligible for SC disability.

Again, a big thank you for your help.

Guess I'll just kick back for a couple of years and see what transpires in the Haas case. Mean while, I'll bombard all my states Reps and Sens. with faxes and emails hoping they support HR 6562 this next year.

• In Memoriam

You will just have to wait for the DD-215. I got my MUC on the DD-215 thirty-five years late/without the write-up. I got the write-up from another buddy. They also re-issued the VSM, VCM, and NDR. It would help if you researched your own outfit and maybe even talked to a few buddies who were in after you separated.

I found out about the MUC, that My squadron, received in 2005. I wasn't awarded it because it was issued after I was separated.

VSM doesn't matter how or where you received it.

You will just have to wait for the DD-215. I got my MUC on the DD-215 thirty-five years late/without the write-up. I got the write-up from another buddy. They also re-issued the VSM, VCM, and NDR. It would help if you researched your own outfit and maybe even talked to a few buddies who were in after you separated.

I found out about the MUC, that My squadron, received in 2005. I wasn't awarded it because it was issued after I was separated.

VSM doesn't matter how or where you received it.

Thanks, Stretch

A former shipmate who separated 2 years after I did, sent me a copy of his. Wow, all the difference in the world. He had them all listed.

So, I guess I'll just wait for my DD-215.

Thanks again!

Hi all!

Been browsing the site for some time, and finally joined today.

I have scoured all the posts looking for answers pertaining to my question, and didn't find what I was looking for. If I have overlooked something, please be gentle with me.

I received my CAR on Sept. 1972 in Nam. My DD214 has it, but no VSM (received it on ship). I have sent for a 215 a week ago. Anyhow, the VA denied my SC saying I was Vietnam Era.

Have prostate cancer, a tumor in my right femur (they have been trying to get a biopsie, but the prostate surgery keeps pushing it back), and a few others that are on the presumptive list.

I filed a NOD with my VSO, and he stated I didn't have much of a chance. But in my way of thinking, a CAR is the same as being in country. Got combat pay and all, but no boots on ground.

Would like other member opinions on what I can do, if anything. Am I in the Haas debacle for the duration?

Just letting you know that the Supreme Court ruled against the "Haas Claim" on 21 January, 2009, which means you can't prove any AO conditions on a presumptive basis (without proof). Unless you have indisputable proof, like a photo of you standing next to an AO storage drum or a record of duty that states you were employed in handling AO or another herbicide, or unless you can find someone else you served with that has had a VA claim approved, and then you may be able to use the same evidence they did. Always check up on your VSO to make sure they are doing their job before and after you have filed any claim and always ask to be present when your case is adjudicated.

Hope this info helps.