VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Epts Discharge Army

Rate this question

rebago

Question

Hello! Not sure I am putting this in the right place or even if I am in the right forum. Please forgive. As a mother of a son who wanted to be a soldier, I am here.

Long story short, son joined the Army Reserves. Went off to AIT Aug 14 2008. Week 12 of AIT (of 14 weeks) called and said he had nerve damage in his feet and was put in the Medical Holding unit. Needless to say, no graduation for him. Today he called and said he was being medicially discharged. Injury EPTS. He said that his webbed toes (yes, he has two of them on each foot) and the bone structure of his feet made this an injury that existed prior to service.

Now, excuse me. But he has never been to the Dr ever for his feet. He has never had pain or issues with his feet. Obviously, after reading the rules online about pre-existing conditions this would be one (ie. birth defect) but the Army took him with this being quite obvious by just looking at his feet. I would say this nerve damage that has occurred, at the very least, was aggravated by service.

Anyway, my son said he signed something today to start the discharge. He is 18 years old. Does not know the ways of the world. I am looking out for him and do not want him to sign his life away in case this leads to permanent issues with his feet. Even if it doesn't, it is a matter of principal for me.

What advice do you have to give as to how he should proceed? He is home for Exodus on the 19th but then back again on Jan 1 until at least Feb 09 he said till the discharge.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well that was the injury. Nerve damage. He did not have an accident. It is just that "boot shock" never went away. He has pain in his toes in both feet currently and when he was first diagnosed pain in the ball of his foot, that pain has since gone away but the toes are still a problem. They said it was nerve damage.

• HadIt.com Elder

A traumatic injury to the feet would give your son a well grounded claim regardless of the congenital condition. Keyword "traumatic", whereas, in theory if he were have made many jumps from a airplane and then the congenital condition was found upon complaint of pain- If not for the jumps from the plane then the condition may have not have gotten painful. However, if his condition would be painful as part of its normal course in acts of everyday life- then boot shock will be a stretch for that reason in the VA claims process. Word of advice- take your son to a privet doctor when he comes home, a second opinion may help clear matters up as to correct diagnosis of the nerve pain & exact etiology. Hope this helps.

• HadIt.com Elder

Good evening rebago,

Your son is most fortunate to have you for his mother. It appears that you are his greatest advocate. Well, you have found the right place here at Hadit, to help you help your son. There is nothing sweeter than a Mother's love.Best wishes to you and your son this holiday season and every success in the new year. Bob

Yes it is very helpful thank you!

But therein lies another problem. How do I pay for the Dr when he comes home? My medical insurance does not know he is away at basic. I have have not anything wrong at all, they only ask once a year if the child is still a student and they did that last spring and aren't due to check again until this spring when he would have been safely back home and in college (it was army reserves he enrolled in as you recall). So when I take him to Dr and explain why he is there, I am afraid they will report into our insurance and when they find out it was in Basic that he the injury occurred they won't pay. So am I to pay cash for this Dr visit or what? I can and will but it again does not seem fair.

Have any input on that one? Thanks!

Well thanks Bob for the warm welcome and kind words. I never knew what Military Moms went through before but now I know. Oh it has been hard!!!!! And continues to be hard as every mother wants the best for their Children but can't always provide that......only do the best we can do. Thank you so much for being here for me!!!!