VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Epts Discharge Army

Rate this question

rebago

Question

Hello! Not sure I am putting this in the right place or even if I am in the right forum. Please forgive. As a mother of a son who wanted to be a soldier, I am here.

Long story short, son joined the Army Reserves. Went off to AIT Aug 14 2008. Week 12 of AIT (of 14 weeks) called and said he had nerve damage in his feet and was put in the Medical Holding unit. Needless to say, no graduation for him. Today he called and said he was being medicially discharged. Injury EPTS. He said that his webbed toes (yes, he has two of them on each foot) and the bone structure of his feet made this an injury that existed prior to service.

Now, excuse me. But he has never been to the Dr ever for his feet. He has never had pain or issues with his feet. Obviously, after reading the rules online about pre-existing conditions this would be one (ie. birth defect) but the Army took him with this being quite obvious by just looking at his feet. I would say this nerve damage that has occurred, at the very least, was aggravated by service.

Anyway, my son said he signed something today to start the discharge. He is 18 years old. Does not know the ways of the world. I am looking out for him and do not want him to sign his life away in case this leads to permanent issues with his feet. Even if it doesn't, it is a matter of principal for me.

What advice do you have to give as to how he should proceed? He is home for Exodus on the 19th but then back again on Jan 1 until at least Feb 09 he said till the discharge.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

enroll your son at the local community college and tell the doctor that was his plans to do so all along- its probably true anyway. Your insurance should cover him while he is still in school. Worth a try. I guess my underlined point was don't trust the diagnosis of the military doctors. If he ever needed to fall back on a medical document that accurately describes his issues at this point-in-time, then it would be a worthwhile effort to see a trusted privet doctor sooner rather than later.

Oh yes, that was the plan. How life changes our plans. He was to graduate AIT at Thanksgiving and come home to start the spring semester of college. Now he will have missed a whole year of school.

I will take your advice and get him into the Podiatrist over his Exodus. Thank you so much!!!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Rebago:

Welcome to Hadit. Family and friends of Vets are always welcome here. You have received some good advice.

I think that Poolguy gave you some excellent advice.

When your son was accepted by the Military he was given a physical and passed it therefore he is presumed to be fit. That is important. You also should get copies of all his records and keep them.

I hope that your son recovers from his injuries.

Sorry one more question. The records. Does the soldier usually bring those home with him upon discharge? I asked my son to ask the Dr. for a copy of his medical records so that the podiatrist here could see then (ha ha ha i know but it doesnt hurt to ask!) and he has had no luck on that.

How does he make sure that he gets all of his records upon discharge?

• HadIt.com Elder
Sorry one more question. The records. Does the soldier usually bring those home with him upon discharge? I asked my son to ask the Dr. for a copy of his medical records so that the podiatrist here could see then (ha ha ha i know but it doesnt hurt to ask!) and he has had no luck on that.

How does he make sure that he gets all of his records upon discharge?

It may be difficult in his position to get a copy of his medical records now. With that said, what you really should seek is an purely independent second opinion. By that I mean have the privet doctor opine on the condition and the origin of your sons foot pain without any other doctors notes to influence him/her. He can get a copy of his medical records more easily once he is out and you can deal with comparing the two then.

Edited by poolguy11550