VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trying To Get Over The Side Effects

Rate this topic

Since spending several hours at the VA ER on Tuesday for possible appendicitis....then the doc said it was most likely diverticulitis and sent me home with 3 new meds...I actually got worse. So I looked up these new meds on line....oh yes the side effects of these meds were the culprit. They all had gastrointestinal side effects ( nausea, stomach cramps, etc) and caused headaches.

Duh.

I took my last dose of them yesterday morning and I'm already feeling a little better.

Supposed to go back to the VA Urgent Care for a follow-up on Tuesday....uh....I think I'll pass. I don't need them making me any worse again.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Purple

For God's sake don't go to the VA ER if you have Diverticulitus. That thing can rupture and fill your gut with poison and you may die. Get to a real hospital. My wife just got over that problem. It was a close thing. If the guts busts open all the waste products will stream into your body cavity and you get dangerously ill. Did you have a CT scan? My wife started off with a pain in her gut and ended up a week in the hospital after surgery and she was lucky because it did not rupture. If it breaks open you will be in the hospital for weeks. The VA is playing with your life. Do you have any other insurance?

John-

they did a contrast ct scan and said it was normal, but still dx the diverticulitis (?????). Which left me wondering, do i really have it or not? i still have pain in my lower right side--going on 6 days now.

but do i believe them that it was normal? i mean i don't trust va docs as far as i can throw them.

there was only one doc in the er that evening and she didn't even examine me...i don't know who read the ct scan--the dayton va is really a scary place.

no, i don't have any other insurance.

• HadIt.com Elder

My brother had it and he eventually lost over 50 lbs and looked 20 years older. They operated and messed it up so he had a second operation and now everything is ok. I never knew what it was cause people really don't like to talk about it but it really needs to be treated. Its a lot easier if you do it before it is a crisis.

• HadIt.com Elder

Purple

I think they don't know what is wrong with you. Did they mention your gall bladder? I really think they just threw that diagnosis at you because they did not know what was wrong with you. That is not good because these things can go bad in a hurry. My wife had pain one night and the next day she was in surgery. She was in severe pain. I thought it was just food poisoning, but I got her to the hospital pronto and they knew better. They should have kept you there until they had a really good idea of what was wrong with you.

I've already had my gallbladder removed years ago....also already had my right ovary and tube removed (as they were considering female problems).

I mean, when the ER doc doesn't even examine you???????? The Urgent Care "doc" (i can't stand him) only poked around a bit, but not what I would call an exam.....he's the one who prescribed the meds (prior to having the results of the tests!!!) and then he went home.