VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes Ii

Rate this question

vietvet

Question

Hello. If my diabetes has worsened and that I now take pills, must it also be stated in my files that I am on a restricted diet? I would like to file for an increase. Thanks for any comments.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have used the Diabetes Training letter to help a vet get service connected after 12 years of fighting the VA.In the first paragraph of his BVA denial there was a medical term from his SMRs that for years-no one had ever looked up when he had a rep-and had a lawyer- it was in the DMII training letter and I took it from there

Also this letter was very instrumental in my present claim.

Diabetes can have a profound effect on vision, skin, heart, brain,renal functions etc-

and there is plenty on the internet as to the many complications it can cause.

DMII_VA_TRAINING_LETTER.doc

vietvet. Diabetes affects every system in your body at one time or the other in your life time. They all cause complications such as neurophy of lower and upper extremities, vision problems, tooth problems. If you were diagnosed with diabetes prior to being put on pills you should allready be on a restricted diet. Eventually you will be put on insulin and that will get you a 40% increase. This site has a lot topics on diabetes and I suggest you read all of them and if possible make copies of the ones that apply to you and place them in your files. Ask questions about thangs you don,t understand. The people on hadit have the info to lead you thru this, trust them, I did and it from 40% to 80% in about 5 months. BTW you can ask for an increase at anytime you wish. Its a 50-50 thang, you may or may not get it, but you don,t apply its for sure you won't get anything. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CLAIM, ALL THE HELP YOU NEED IS RIGHT HERE. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS.

vietvet. Diabetes affects every system in your body at one time or the other in your life time. They all cause complications such as neurophy of lower and upper extremities, vision problems, tooth problems. If you were diagnosed with diabetes prior to being put on pills you should allready be on a restricted diet. Eventually you will be put on insulin and that will get you a 40% increase. This site has a lot topics on diabetes and I suggest you read all of them and if possible make copies of the ones that apply to you and place them in your files. Ask questions about thangs you don,t understand. The people on hadit have the info to lead you thru this, trust them, I did and it from 40% to 80% in about 5 months. BTW you can ask for an increase at anytime you wish. Its a 50-50 thang, you may or may not get it, but you don,t apply its for sure you won't get anything. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CLAIM, ALL THE HELP YOU NEED IS RIGHT HERE. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you can have DMII and be blind with cataracts and the VA will not make it secondary unless you have a medical opinion to connect the dots. There are so many secondary conditions to DMII. The VBM lists many and two that until very recently were considered presumptive if you had DMII. One was cataracts and the other was hardening of the arteries. Now you need a opinion although the M-21 still says they are presumptive I think. You have to consider that a jumped up clerk is the one who is going to rate your secondary conditions. He/She has no medical or legal expertise.

John-I used the actual quote from the VBM as to how atherosclerosis os si stringly associated to diabetes.

As you all know my AO claim is based on undiagnosed and untreated diabetes from AO that caused the conditions on my husband's death certificate.Along with the FTCA and Section 1151 statements, it is more than likely that if the VA could misdiagnose heart disease, CVAs and TIAs, and HBP (documented)-they surely could not diagnose and did not treat his main cause of the conditions above tha caused his death-DMII.

I recently found even more evidence to support the athrosclerosis factor in my claim.

A VA doctor had stated in 1992 that the MRI revealed "significant accelerated brain atrophy-

far more than expected for age of patient" due to atherosclerosis and there were numerous atherosclerotic lesions in Rods brain, one the major CVA and the countless TIAs and strokes they had misdiagnosed.

Although the abstracts I sent with this info were solid I found 3 more recent studies lately that reveal how atherosclerosis can be profoundly accelerated in diabetics.

It would be difficult for the VA to come up with any other etiology for this pronounced clinical medical evidence in Rods medical records amd supported as well by my IMOs.

Diabetes doesnt kill anyone-but its complications- if untreated or ignored -can.

Edited by Berta

Trailblazer,

Hopefully you got into the eye doc. Retinal issues are not good. I am SC for Diabletes type I.

My retinal detachement was diabetes related, preceeded by diabetic retinophy.

I would pray you have neither. I miss my vision.

The diabetes rating info provided earlier is what I followed to get to 40%. I'm on a pump.

Merry Christmas....Eric