VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Spend My Money

Rate this question

Alb

Question

I was awarded 100% SC PTSD. VA found me incompetent. My husband is going to handle my financial affairs. Does this mean when the retro money hits the bank, I have to ask the VA how to spend my money? We want to use all the retro pay to pay off our mortgage. Is this going to be a problem taking out all of the money for this purpose. Is there a limit on how much money you can draw out? How can they control what comes out of your bank account? I mean, if the money is in your account, how does the VA control your spending limit. ( if there is any) :lol:

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I wish I could help you but instead am asking you to help me. I am about to be rated incompetent. How did you get your husband as fidiciary? They told me they would get me one of their chosing. Did they pay you while you were waiting for your appointed fidiciary? How long did it take? Are you appealing? Anything you could tell me on this subject would help. Thank You Bonnie

I am asking the VA to appoint my husband as the fiduciary. I requested this other two months ago and have not had a response letter back yet. My veteran service officer told me this whole process could take up to 4-6 months. They say there is only five field officers for the whole state of Florida. This is why it is taking so long for the interview process my husband has to go through before he can be assigned as my fiduciary. It took me 8 years to win my claim. I still have to wait another 4 months to get paid anything. I think they should give just a little to live on. They said if I had not been married, they could have requested a hardship and speed up the process. How do you know you are about to be rated as incompetent? I am not appealing a thing. The way I look at it is, IF THE VA finds me incompetent, then they will have to find me competent in two years when I am up for another C&P for total and permanent. I think this helps me in the long run to help keep me at 100% :lol:

I am asking the VA to appoint my husband as the fiduciary. I requested this other two months ago and have not had a response letter back yet. My veteran service officer told me this whole process could take up to 4-6 months. They say there is only five field officers for the whole state of Florida. This is why it is taking so long for the interview process my husband has to go through before he can be assigned as my fiduciary. It took me 8 years to win my claim. I still have to wait another 4 months to get paid anything. I think they should give just a little to live on. They said if I had not been married, they could have requested a hardship and speed up the process. How do you know you are about to be rated as incompetent? I am not appealing a thing. The way I look at it is, IF THE VA finds me incompetent, then they will have to find me competent in two years when I am up for another C&P for total and permanent. I think this helps me in the long run to help keep me at 100% :lol:

My c&p examiner stated that in her opinion I was incompetent to handle my benifits at this time but should be re-evaluated within one year. I assume this means a rating of incompetence even though none of my other dr's ever gave me a rating of incopotence. I haven't been awarded anything yet, but should by months end. Will my examiner's statement alone be enough to rate me incompetent? I'm really hoping that they look at my whole record like they are supposed to but have my doubts. My case is over 2years 8months old. My examiner did say that my mental condition had its onset in the military,and that my employabilty was impaired due to my medication and depresssion.

My c&p examiner stated that in her opinion I was incompetent to handle my benifits at this time but should be re-evaluated within one year. I assume this means a rating of incompetence even though none of my other dr's ever gave me a rating of incopotence. I haven't been awarded anything yet, but should by months end. Will my examiner's statement alone be enough to rate me incompetent? I'm really hoping that they look at my whole record like they are supposed to but have my doubts. My case is over 2years 8months old. My examiner did say that my mental condition had its onset in the military,and that my employabilty was impaired due to my medication and depresssion.

Bonnie,

It sounds like your examiner's statement alone can rate you as incompetent, because none of my other dr's rated me incompetent before my C&P. My examiner also said that my PTSD had its onset in the military. The examiner said nothing about my employability, because I was already placed on medical retirement from my job due to anxiety, back and neck problems. Almost all of this is related to the military, so I was already unemployable. From what I can tell you about my claim, is the examiner's statments alone had the most weight on my case. She did glance at my records before the examination, because she made referances to my other doctors statements they made in my medical notes. Its like she was double checking to see if I gave the same answer. My examination lasted over 3 hours, I was numb for two weeks then could not handle it any more and ended up in the hospital because I tried to harm myself. The day I left the hospital, my husband called to let me know I had been awarded at 100%. My service officer had told him. Just think--- I almost let the VA win, because if I had died, my family would have been left nothing. The VA IS NOT WORTH TAKING YOUR LIFE FOR!!! no matter how bad it gets, just remember your are right and keep on fighting till you win. :lol:

Bonnie,

It sounds like your examiner's statement alone can rate you as incompetent, because none of my other dr's rated me incompetent before my C&P. My examiner also said that my PTSD had its onset in the military. The examiner said nothing about my employability, because I was already placed on medical retirement from my job due to anxiety, back and neck problems. Almost all of this is related to the military, so I was already unemployable. From what I can tell you about my claim, is the examiner's statments alone had the most weight on my case. She did glance at my records before the examination, because she made referances to my other doctors statements they made in my medical notes. Its like she was double checking to see if I gave the same answer. My examination lasted over 3 hours, I was numb for two weeks then could not handle it any more and ended up in the hospital because I tried to harm myself. The day I left the hospital, my husband called to let me know I had been awarded at 100%. My service officer had told him. Just think--- I almost let the VA win, because if I had died, my family would have been left nothing. The VA IS NOT WORTH TAKING YOUR LIFE FOR!!! no matter how bad it gets, just remember your are right and keep on fighting till you win. :D

• HadIt.com Elder
I was awarded 100% SC PTSD. VA found me incompetent. My husband is going to handle my financial affairs. Does this mean when the retro money hits the bank, I have to ask the VA how to spend my money? We want to use all the retro pay to pay off our mortgage. Is this going to be a problem taking out all of the money for this purpose. Is there a limit on how much money you can draw out? How can they control what comes out of your bank account? I mean, if the money is in your account, how does the VA control your spending limit. ( if there is any) :D

Alb,

I was not declared incompetent, but did receive two huge retro checks

from the VA.

The first one came by postal, as I had never received benefits before.

I did deposit the money in the bank into our joint checking account.

After 24 hours had past, I went back to the bank and withdrew all

that money and had an Authorized Check made out to my husband who in

turn paid off the mortgage.

When the second one came, it was automatic deposit. I used the large

majority to remodel our home, buy some things that I wanted and into

a savings account.

I had no problem from the IRS ,the Bank or the VA.

If they wish to check to see what I did with the large sum,

they will see that I am quite competent.

Pay off your Mortgage. I was tickled pink to get that

Certificate from the Bank -------- Paid in Full.

The Best to You!!

Betty