VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have Ptsd Rating From Va Going To National Guard Meb

Rate this question

finckjm

Question

I am currently in the National Guard and am in the process of being sent to the MEB for PTSD to determine if I am still fit for duty. I spent 4 years in the Regular Army and have been in the National Guard for 8 years, 1 1/2 years of my national guard time was 6 month train up and 12 month deployment to Iraq.

When I came back from Iraq I began having problems is social settings, marital problems, trouble concentrating at my civilian job and all kinds of other fun stuff. I almost closed lined a guy in a "man-dress" at the mall. After I was at home for about 6 months I finally decided to get help. I was eventually rated by the VA as 30% for PTSD and I also ended up getting another 10% for my knees. I still have one other claim for my back that I am appealing.

About a year ago every soldier in my National Guard unit was required to get a physical. During my physical I let the Dr. know what medications I was on and informed they were for my PTSD. He immediately gave me a P3 profile for my knees and PTSD, PULHES is 333113. The Guard finally got around to sending my packet to the MMRB, and I was found unfit to perform my current MOS as a Combat Engineer. My packet is going to the MEB in January of 2009 and I am trying to find out what I should expect from the MEB.

Do they take into consideration my current rating for PTSD from the VA?

The Medical Evaluation Board that I my packet is going to is an Active Duty MEB, because the disabilities are combat related and occured during a NG Federal Mobilization.

I appreciate any insight into this as it is something that I have been stressing about.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks USMC_HVEQ,

Thanks for the information, sounds like your situation was pretty similar. Its going to be about another month before my packet goes to the MEB. I was told that the MEB that my packet is going to is at Fort Sam Houston, because I live in Texas.

CTUMM,

good luck at your appt. If you havent guessed it, this site can be very helpful. You have to be able to do some of the work then soemone just sppon feed you the answers but its all worth it. Make a list of things you need to do or have done before you even get to the board. What I mena is, have you gotten all your VA medical progress notes to be included with you MEB? I'm telling you if it isnt already in your file, then it isnt going to get there on its own. Your old unit/present unit just wants to get rid of you. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Once they hear PTSD, they say your fragile mental state precludes you from doing anythign militarily related. So if you wanted to stay in, except the fact you are not going to be able to. This exam will be jus tlike an initial C&P, so be prepared. You need to know all your history of injuries, if more then just ptsd. You will have multiple med boards, aka doctor evaluation, per condition. This will take you the whole day, if not more then one. Make sure on your physical to note anything, I repeat anything, for which you may need future help. This includes your teeth! they suppose to fix them before you get out. If you already had your med sep physical then your out of luck my friend. Just remember, you will be asked to recall all your events. This could be tough if it has been bothering you. You must be able to show your true emotions there, so dont hold back at all. Also, tell them all the probelms you are having now, dont minimize anything. They are goign to try and low ball you as well, jus tlike the VA. The appts should only take a day, depending on scheduling. Each appt will be a couple hours, well ptsd def will be. Like I said, depending on the doc, should take between 2-3 weeks to write a formal diagnosis up and send it to the PEB. Then another month and you should get an intial decision from PEB. You can accept tehir findings or appeal. You'll have to decide that at the time. If you are found combined 30% or higher then you are medically retired. If they feel your injuries might get better or worse, then you'll be in my boat (TDRL).....

ctumm, if you are only getting 40% VA comined rating, you should get that and some retiree pay. If your on TDRL, they will give you 50% of your rank pay. Problem is you;re a NG. Take all your retirement points and divide by 360, this is your equivalent AD time, but then again they might say just the year you were activated. Anywho, say half of e-5 pay 1100 or something. This is before taxes. they will subtract the amount you get from the VA, then take any taxes out. This is yours to keep as well. If your VA rating goes up, then so does the amount they take away from your retirement pay.

Hope this helps

I am working directly with my S-1(army for BN Personel) to get everything together. I told him that I will provide him with all medical documentation to include in my packet. I already have everything, stressor letter, letter from wife and family about the impact on my life, medical records from VA( C&P records and dissability award letters), all army medical records, and records from civilian orthopedic and psychiatrist. I am not trusting them to get all of my medical documentation thats why I told him I would provide the medical records.

I am currently a SSG(E-6) with 4 years active duty and 8 years in the guard with 1 1/2 of those years mobilized.

I also thought they changed CRSC(i think thats what its called) about a year ago. To allow for the concurent receipt of VA and DOD benefits for combat related dissabilities if the DOD rating is 30% or more.

Thanks for the advice.

ctumm, look like ur headed in the right direction working with s-1 adn getting all your VA stuff added yourself. You should be well off. You are right in the fact that TDRL and PDRL can now get crsc. The rating for the combat related disability has to be at least 10% and also have a VA rating. In your case, once they link ptsd, you should be all set. If you have other injuries as well. Its the percetnage combat related not totally disabling is where it gets a little bit confusing. If all your injuries are combat related yo have no major issues then. if not then that''s the tricky part. Im going through the tricky part now myself.

You'll get e-6 pay (50% or more, while on tdrl) then they take out your VA benefit.

hypothetical example

you get 1500 from DFAS for retiree pay TDRL

you get 770 for 50% from VA.

1500-770= what you get to keep in addition to your VA money, roughly 730, I blieve??

Hi. I'm new the forum but I am going through a similar process with the Air Force Reserves. I just meet with the active duty Psych and she told me she was going to transpose my va doc's progress notes on my PTSD. Could this have any bearing on my va claim?

• HadIt.com Elder
I am currently in the National Guard and am in the process of being sent to the MEB for PTSD to determine if I am still fit for duty. I spent 4 years in the Regular Army and have been in the National Guard for 8 years, 1 1/2 years of my national guard time was 6 month train up and 12 month deployment to Iraq.

Greetings ctumm,... You must strive for a ""Chapter 61 retirement."" From what you have presented here, it sounds like you have a handle on it. Guys like you and USMC_HVEQ, have / and still are going through a lot right now. I am confident you will succeed in your endeavors. In the future you will be able to help your fellow vets, who stumble into Hadit, looking for a little info or direction. Welcome Aboard.

Cmdr. Bob

P.S. speaking of fellow vets looking around Hadit.....comes now,...Sandsoldier

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93