VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Minocycline

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

My husband has these moles on the back of his head, and they've recently started to rupture. The actual moles have been there for years, so we didn't worry about them, until they started to rupture. When they rupture, a single, hard white mass comes out. Scared the crap out of us. We call the VA to get an appointment with his PCP. Never actually talked TO her, just "her nurses" (READ: The PCP is a NP!) Okay, so we keep calling, because we never get a call back from the PCP, the nurses are like, "Uh, I don't know what she wants to do" Finally, the PCP puts in a script for wait for it........ MINOCYCLINE! A friggin antibiotic! The moles are NOT INFECTED! There would be other signs of infection, besides the fact that they rupture. They only hurt right before they rupture (TWO have ruptured) and there is no fever present, anywhere, not even around the mole. The med is an ACNE antibiotic. I'm so frustrated, I swear they are trying to kill him!

Get this, they gave him a 30 day supply!

Edited by SouthernBelle

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

He ought to see a dermotologist right away. When moles start to look bad it can be serious stuff. I never heard about moles rupturing. I heard about them bleeding and being irregular in shape (warning sign). Unless they are warts.

• HadIt.com Elder

According to webmd, they are moles or systs (sic?). I've begged, and pleaded to get him to the Derm, but they want to do the antibiotics for 30 days before they even SEE HIM! HIS PCP HAS NEVER SEEN THE MOLES! That's what is so aggravating. They've never seen the moles/systs!

He ought to see a dermotologist right away. When moles start to look bad it can be serious stuff. I never heard about moles rupturing. I heard about them bleeding and being irregular in shape (warning sign). Unless they are warts.

Does your VA have an Urgent Care? If so, take him there. Take a good book or two. Plan to spend the entire day. Demand (I know you can do it) a Derm referral!

Moles are nothing to mess with. I've had several removed...some cancerous...not wanting to scare you they could very well be cysts...but they need to be checked out.

Give 'em hell.