VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hysterectomy

Rate this question

david walker

Question

I have a friend who is on active duty, she will soon ETS. She had a hysterectomy immediately after the delivery of her second child (5 years ago). She planning on filing for SC. Can she do this, she's fine. I find it hard to believe she can get 50% for this and someone with real suffering can't get but 20%. I'm just a litte Peeved.

7617 Uterus and both ovaries, removal of, complete:

For three months after removal............................. \1\ 100

Thereafter................................................. \1\ 50

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi,

I am only 24 years old and while on active duty i had a hysterectomy. about a year after being the service i started having problems. the doctor figured out what was wrong. I had Endometriosis. If you have endometriosis, the tissue lining the inside of your uterus (endometrium) grows outside the uterus on your ovaries, fallopian tubes or other pelvic organs. This condition can cause pain or irregular bleeding. When medication or conservative surgery doesn't improve endometriosis, you might need a hysterectomy. I tried everything but nothing worked and the air force was doing everything possible to kick me out but i kept fighting. i ended up having one child but i couldn't have anymore. I was given 2 things to do.... suffer with the pain and get kicked out of the military or have a hysterectomy and stay and feel better. problems was i still have problems i am only 25 and i am going through a really hard time. i ended up getting out of the service when my 4 years was up b/c i just couldn't stand how i got treated. I see you point of view on how you feel but they way i see it you have to get what you can take and i am trying to get everything i can .

ashley

70% service connected

I believe you are very you should get every dime you can get. I think I was misunderstood. My friend had no life treating or serious medical problems (thats what she has lead me to believe). She acts like she optied for the surgery as a form of birth control. May be I'm wrong and I aplogize. Maybe thats her way of covering. I never thought of it before. Thanks

Nicole - I pray you come home soon to be with your daughter. Believe me when I say "she knows who you are". There's no greater sacrafice made than when a mother leaves her child in service of this country. My heart breaks for you and I'm proud to serve with you - God bless you.

Hi,

I am only 24 years old and while on active duty i had a hysterectomy. about a year after being the service i started having problems. the doctor figured out what was wrong. I had Endometriosis. If you have endometriosis, the tissue lining the inside of your uterus (endometrium) grows outside the uterus on your ovaries, fallopian tubes or other pelvic organs. This condition can cause pain or irregular bleeding. When medication or conservative surgery doesn't improve endometriosis, you might need a hysterectomy. I tried everything but nothing worked and the air force was doing everything possible to kick me out but i kept fighting. i ended up having one child but i couldn't have anymore. I was given 2 things to do.... suffer with the pain and get kicked out of the military or have a hysterectomy and stay and feel better. problems was i still have problems i am only 25 and i am going through a really hard time. i ended up getting out of the service when my 4 years was up b/c i just couldn't stand how i got treated. I see you point of view on how you feel but they way i see it you have to get what you can take and i am trying to get everything i can .

ashley

70% service connected

Ashley, I am so familiar to your situation b/c I too suffered from endometriosis to the worst extreme while in the Army but I was medically discharged for DJD/osteoarthiritis of the knees. I became pregnant in my tube because the endo was blocking the path of the growing baby so I not only lost my baby but I also lost one of my tubes and my sanity. Talk about depression. Still I got over it and moved on because I still had my other tube that would allow me to have the little girl that I wanted to mirror myself. Unfortunately, my uterus prolapsed completely outside of me and there was NO other alternative than to have it removed. I had a complete hysterectomy removing my uterus because it had fallen and both of my ovaries were removed because the endo completely took over my inner organs.

I can comprehend with all you ladies that are experiencing the multiple problems that arises from a hysterectomy. I went into surgical menopause the day I left the hospital. It was so severe I felt as though I wanted to die. I would love to take the HRT but unfortunately I suffer with fibrocystic breast disease that will only add to the 50% chance of getting breast cancer so my doctor won't prescribe me anything HRT related. Taking hormones relieves a lot of the symptoms associated with menopause but if you have endometriosis the sooner the hormones get back into your system your pain and suffering will return without a doubt! Endometriosis does not have a cure and will lie dormant in your body forever!

David your friend can only receive 50% with SMC K if she had a complete hysterectomy and with a prolapsed uterus I am for sure she still have her ovaries which warrants a 30% SC. She will receive the SMC K for loss of use and the 3 month back pay of 100%. Tell your friend not to be so happy so soon b/c as the other experienced hysterectomy survivors has stated here, It can and will get worse.

Much Love to all my sisters who are going through this horror!

Swan :P

I am glad that this post has evolved because I know a lot of my "friends" feel as though my ailment does not warrant the level of disability that I receive. To all who feel the same, please remember that we are women and this is a woman disease and we as women tend to mask our ailments to show that we are of strong nature, even though it might be tearing us apart inside. I constantly look for someone to tell me why! I am not the wife to my husband that I used to be! Sure, intimacy can be obtained after you conquer all the obstacles, but most of the times the obstacles keep you from obtaining intimacy! I've changed and I hate it!!!

Swan

:P

I'm glad I wrote this post. I never understood the severity of a hysterectomy till now. I know a few friends(ladies) who have had a hysterectomy. None have ever been this up front about it. I guess its cause I'm a male. In the future I will be more considerate of them. I can better see now why a woman might try to hide her true feelings.

Thanks for setting me straight, ladies

First of all, David, God bless you for seeking out this forum. Understanding of the specifics of female military life is not something we ladies are used to. Thanks!

Next, I would like to ask my military sisters if they might give me some advice on how to proceed. I recently had a hysterectomy (ovaries still in tact) due to the prolapse of my uterus. I worked for over 5 years in the radio repair field. The equipment was all "two-man" lift but there were rarely 2 of us together to lift anything. I began to notice changes after we came back from Desert Storm, usually during PT, when we were running and bouncing around. At first, I mentioned it to the GYNs when I was on active duty but was told it would be years before it would be a problem.

I made it to 42 years old, then it was just too much to deal with. I had to have my uterus removed, bladder and rectal repair. VA actually paid for it all. I want to petition VA to increase my disability but I don't even know where to begin. Do any of you have advice? I start to research and am quickly overwhelmed.

:)

Thanks for listening.

Dorie

20% Service Connected