VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hysterectomy

Rate this question

david walker

Question

I have a friend who is on active duty, she will soon ETS. She had a hysterectomy immediately after the delivery of her second child (5 years ago). She planning on filing for SC. Can she do this, she's fine. I find it hard to believe she can get 50% for this and someone with real suffering can't get but 20%. I'm just a litte Peeved.

7617 Uterus and both ovaries, removal of, complete:

For three months after removal............................. \1\ 100

Thereafter................................................. \1\ 50

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have a friend who is on active duty, she will soon ETS. She had a hysterectomy immediately after the delivery of her second child (5 years ago). She planning on filing for SC. Can she do this, she's fine. I find it hard to believe she can get 50% for this and someone with real suffering can't get but 20%. I'm just a litte Peeved.

7617 Uterus and both ovaries, removal of, complete:

For three months after removal............................. \1\ 100

Thereafter................................................. \1\ 50

You might get a little more peeved knowing she will get extra compensation for loss of a vital organ..

Do you think woman can just ask for this surgery? Something had to be be wrong in order to get this operation. You should be concerned for your friend not peeved. I had a hysterectomy on active duty . I am 20 years past the fact and still having problems. A hysterectomy messes up your whole body system for life. You should read up on what can/will happen. It is no picnic. You do not know how someone feels or what is going on inside their body. Please do not be so judgemental unless you are informed . What you see or do not see of a disability is not always the full story. The military doctors did the surgery for a reason and not just because she wanted the surgery. Be a good friend and help her out when she is having a bad day. She may not even know the full consequences of this surgery.

Liz in Hudson Florida

I wish that's all I had to worry about, when I was 22 yrs old, I had cervical cancer removed, when I was 23 I was diagnosed with alopecia, when I was 28 I had to have emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed, when I was 27 I had breast reduction surgery due to back problems, and neck problems, not to mention the migraines caused by the weight of my breasts pulling on my neck, when I was 21 I was diagnosed with OCD, and depression, when I was 27-29, I was diagnosed with hypertension, hyperthyroid associated with Graves disease, oh and did I mention the heart and kidney meds that I have to take as well as anti-depressants...that don't work anymore because I have been on them so long, thyroid pills, and sleeping pills...oh and hyperhydrosis...(excessive sweating) and blood pressure meds.

I'll be lucky to see 50-60% disability! Oh..and I am active duty air force, have been for almost 11 years, and am being discharged because the Air Force can't handle all of my medical problems, lucky me they are sending me to see a neurologist before I seperate so they can "officialy"diagnose my migraines!!! And...I get to see a Dr. next week to have my arthritis and carpal tunnel checked out!!!

And let me add to the list that I am married, and I am currently serving on a timy little Island in the middle of the Atlantic called the Azores Island, Portugal, and I am here without my husband, and without my 7 yr old little boy and 22 month old baby girl...oh...and she doesn't even know who I am because I left when she was too young! So...just when you think you have problems...there is always someone else out there that has it worse! BUT YES...SHE SHOULD GET DISABILITY!!!!

Edited by Nichole

I'm sorry if I upset anyone. My friend had her surgery due to uterine prolapse during the birth of her 2nd child. She had alternatives, but surgery is what she wanted. She says not having a period or worrying about getting pregnant is great. I know there a women who do not have an alternatve and forgive me if I hurt anyones feelings.

Oh my goodness...I hope you don't think I am upset! Not at all not in the least!

I had my tubes tied last year, when I was 28, I have medical problems, and almost wasn't able to have my 2nd child, and being pregnant with her, was a risk in itself! But I just had to have a baby girl...and I was truly bllessed ! She and I almost didn't make it. It was suggested by several Dr's that i do not have any more children, and the chances of being able to carry a baby to term was slim, so I opted to have my tubes tied. Yes...it was the best decision...but knowing that I could never have any more children...sad.

I don't think it's appropriate that people make comments about your "manhood"...thats not fair.

No worries David! It happens, and there is nothing you can do about it!

Cheers! :P