VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non Emergency Injury Care

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder
Can you get to a drug store and buy one of those OTC finger splints? At least that will keep you from moving it. Keep ice on it. (My son has broken so many fingers playing baseball and football I've lost count)...and keep it elevated. But.....I'm not a Dr.!!!!!!!! Just some advice from a sports Mom!! LOL!!!

Hope you feel better...

You speaking of your son's sports injuries just brought to mind an incident when I was playing highschool basketball. I went in for a "lay-up" (I was 6'3" in the 10th grade and actually COULD do "lay-ups") and this kid on the other team got up in under me and I came down with my full weight directly on my tail bone (broke my ca...oh heck, whatever they call your tail bone). So, they manage to get me off the court and into the dressing room, where the team doctor came down and took a look at me and said something that I, even in the pain that I was in, had to laugh about. He said:

"Boy, Larry, that sure sounded like that it hurt......why, all the way up in the stands where I was sitting I could hear you bust your ass!"

gee, thanks doc!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the 'ol sore finger.

It took ten days to get into see the PCP at the clinic. He decided a hand surgoen needed to see it so a quick trip to Salt Lake was made for x-ray's and consult.

Sure 'nuff, no broken bone so to speak. The tendon is attached to the bone still, the problem is the chunk of bone the tendon is attached to tore away from the rest of the finger bone. I'd have thought the tendon would tear before bone but I guess not.

Surgery will need to be done to re-attach the bone to itself. Soon.

Purple was right on in the football injury reference. My injury is called 'jersey finger' in sports medicine. It happens when players grab the jersey for a tackle and it rips through the fingers.