Jump to content

Help For Housebound Wife

Recommended Posts

I know a vet that is 71 and 100%. His wife has had strokes, cancer etc...can hardly walk and can`t even bathe herself. Can`t he get payment for that for her care?


Edited by Cavman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife receives A&A from the VA (non veteran) at $136/mo. Housebound is not available if the veteran is alive, only A & A. Housebound may be added to DIC only. Use the standard 21-2680 (attached) for A & A. The civilian doctor files in the form in the same as if the applicant were the veteran, even though she is not a veteran.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

The veteran needs to be 30% or higher service connected for their spouse to receive A & A (aid & attendance). It starts out at $40 per month if 30% and increases to $136 at 100% service connected. VA Form 21-2680 that "Rich T" posted is an excellent form to apply. It was actually so good to use the VA stopped printing it. (However, you can/should use this form). VA Form 21-2680 asks all the appropriate questions for your spouse (you) to receive the A&A money. I was told a few years back by a VA Hearing Officer, to us the 21-2680 form if I could get one--as the Hearing Officer said it tells them exactly what they need to know to approve the benefit. *Please emphasize to your spouse's physician to PLEASE answer each and every question as complete as possible--noting use of wheelchairs,walkers, oxygen, balance problems, if they are allowed to drive, if they need help bathing, dressing/undressing, help to & from doctor, or any help with taking medications, etc. Please understand that if appoved for A&A , what you receive is just additional money on your VA Compensation---The VA does not come to the house or send some agency there to take care of the spouse. I hope this is of some help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines