VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help For Housebound Wife

Rate this topic

I know a vet that is 71 and 100%. His wife has had strokes, cancer etc...can hardly walk and can`t even bathe herself. Can`t he get payment for that for her care?

Cavman

Edited by Cavman

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife receives A&A from the VA (non veteran) at $136/mo. Housebound is not available if the veteran is alive, only A & A. Housebound may be added to DIC only. Use the standard 21-2680 (attached) for A & A. The civilian doctor files in the form in the same as if the applicant were the veteran, even though she is not a veteran.

21_2680.pdf

The veteran needs to be 30% or higher service connected for their spouse to receive A & A (aid & attendance). It starts out at $40 per month if 30% and increases to $136 at 100% service connected. VA Form 21-2680 that "Rich T" posted is an excellent form to apply. It was actually so good to use the VA stopped printing it. (However, you can/should use this form). VA Form 21-2680 asks all the appropriate questions for your spouse (you) to receive the A&A money. I was told a few years back by a VA Hearing Officer, to us the 21-2680 form if I could get one--as the Hearing Officer said it tells them exactly what they need to know to approve the benefit. *Please emphasize to your spouse's physician to PLEASE answer each and every question as complete as possible--noting use of wheelchairs,walkers, oxygen, balance problems, if they are allowed to drive, if they need help bathing, dressing/undressing, help to & from doctor, or any help with taking medications, etc. Please understand that if appoved for A&A , what you receive is just additional money on your VA Compensation---The VA does not come to the house or send some agency there to take care of the spouse. I hope this is of some help.

• 2 months later...

Pension is a benefit paid to wartime veterans who have limited or no income, and who are age 65 or older, or, if under 65, who are permanently and totally disabled. Veterans who are more seriously disabled may qualify for Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits. These are benefits that are paid in addition to the basic pension rate.