VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fayetteville Ark Vamc

Rate this topic

I changed my PCP to Fayetteville, from Mount Vernon, MO, because I always end up there anyway.

Back in 11/08 Fayetteville took over my meds. In December I received a few of the prescriptions, only the cheap stuff and, utilizing a dental appointment today, I went around to the various clinics and ask them where my meds were.

Nothing had been shipped out to me this month, duh.

The pharmacy has canceled 2 because of availability, never got the prescriptions for 3 others and agreed to send the rest this week, the cheap stuff.

In the private sector my monthly meds are 1600 bucks.

I know this because I frequently get stuck buying them myself.

My wife's employer recently (last year) canceled dependent insurance, which we had to pay for anyway.

Since I'm out of the medications that I'm not supposed to stop cold turkey, tomorrow I get to buy them AGAIN.

I would have today but I wasn't able to drive home before the pharmacy closed for the day.

You would think that the VA would be doing everything possible to keep guys like me from going off on them.

sledge

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also use the Fayetteville, AR VAMC. It sucks but you could have it worse. You could be going to the Fort Smith AR VA. I agree with you. They only want to give out the cheap stuff. To treat my fibro & joint pain, my PCP makes me take 2400 mg of ibruprofin a day. I have continuously complained about stomach pain. Prilosec OTC helps a lot.

Now I am told by my eye doc I need cataract surgury in my left eye ASAP. VA will pay to have the surgury done "outside" at select clinics. But I live alone and the DAV van doesn't cover my area. Plus i live alone & have no one to take care of me. The VA hospital won't let me stay there overnight. VA just expects me to stay in a motel......They won't pay for my room either. Ain't life sweet????? :rolleyes:

• HadIt.com Elder

This is where the VAMC Patient Advocate's office should come into play.

Contact the Patient Advocate at the Fayetteville VA Medical Center. Explain exactly what your situation is and what the doctor has advised you concerning the urgency of your medical problem. Then just ask them to help you.

I've had very good luck and have been treated very kindly and respectfully by the Patient Advocate office in Dallas.

You guys are really having a bad time and I feel for ya. My meds come like clockwork and I finally get the real Nexium after a long battle, but the rest is generic.

I only have a PA, but he has been really good to me.

Cavman

Edited by Cavman

Jim: Thanks for the link to the handbook. I have printed a copy. I am not the favorite patient there at the VAMC Fayetteville. They just hate it when I politely ask for my rights and the care I deserve. I think in this case the misers just don't want to spend the money. Plus they hope I just crawl under a rock and die. Since going to mental health there, I have turned into an alcoholic. Except for my weekly trips to the liquor store and grocery store, I spend the other 6 days at home alone, my only companions being my 3 cats. I think mental health is aware of my living situation and social isolation. On the other hand, they probably think I am just making everything up. i think the VAMC has social workers but i have never seen one face to face. i talked to one on the telephone once but she had a worse attitude than I do :rolleyes:

Thanks for letting me vent guys & gals.

Liz

goofy,

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPub....asp?pub_ID=414

Go here and read the handbook. Download and print it (about 16 pages). You want to read the very last page, A-2. Paragraphs h. and i.

Post any further questions.

• In Memoriam

Kim, the Fayetteville, Ar., MH social worker was moved to Mount Vernon Mo. VA, about 2 years ago. Kim was really good, and everyone was sad to see Kim go. Kim, was supposed to have been replaced. Stillwell, is the best psychiatrist I have ever seen his is always on top of the situations.

If you are out of Meds. I believe I was told, by the Fayetteville patient advocate, that the pharmacy will give you a few days supply till you meds come through (maybe it was 10 days).

You can go to emergency 24/7 at the Fayetteville VAMC and get your meds from a doctor. You just have to wait your time in emergency.

I have used Myhealthevet (VA on-line Pharmacy) for my meds., for over 2 years. My meds arrive the next day 90% of the time. I haven't ever been disappointed with my healthevet pharmacy.

Myhealthevet

https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/...geLabel=mhvHome