VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advise

Rate this question

Selea

Question

:) I filed for a blood pressure I developed while in the Air Force, in 1992 when I was discharged. That part of my claim was never answered. I wrote many letters over the years trying to find out why it was never addressed. I refiled in 2003 and was denied. The letter stated there was no evidence of a blood pressure problem in my military medical records. I have been taking meds for it since about 2 years after I was discharged from the Air Force because the VA hospital said it was dangerous the way my blood pressure bounces around. They had been keeping track of it since I was discharged. I have been unable to get a copy of my va medical records. I did however get some medical pages that were included in my military personnel file. One has written by the doctor that performed surgery on my hands that I had "History of Hypertension". Did I get denied because I filed for high blood pressure and not hypertension? I also had a stroke in '05 which can be attributed to my blood pressure problems. My blood pressure is hard to control, even with meds, because I am in pain all the time from my back injury which I do have service connection for. The more I hurt, the higher my blood pressure.

Also, I lost a kidney in 2008 because my primary care dr. at the VA failed to treat me for/notify me of an infection in Feb '08. The infection spread to my left kidney, which had to be removed due to the damage the infection caused to it. My dr will only say that it was not her fault. I have a huge scar, surface numbness, residule abdominal pain, and have to be tested every 6 months for kidney function. From my research, the VA should give me service connection because of my drs neglignece. Is this true? If so, how do I proceed. I have found over the years that va drs don't listen or care about there patients. I tell them one thing and they dictate something different for the records. I was even kicked out of one drs office because I told him what I think of how he treated me (I am female and he was from the middle east) and how he handled my medical questions/problems. I don't trust the VA but have no choice but to go to them for medical issues, because since I was laid off 2 years ago, I have been unable to find work. The VA Voc counseler doesn't want me working, but I have to or I will end up homeless.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome and thank you for your service.

I filed for a blood pressure I developed while in the Air Force, in 1992 when I was discharged. I refiled in 2003 and was denied.

I have been unable to get a copy of my va medical records.

Do you have a copy of your service medical records? Why can't you get a copy of your VA medical records? Did they refuse you?

Also, I lost a kidney in 2008 I don't trust the VA but have no choice but to go to them for medical issues, because since I was laid off 2 years ago, I have been unable to find work. The VA Voc counseler doesn't want me working, but I have to or I will end up homeless.

Sounds like this is something to be resolved. Do you have a Veteran Service Officer? Have you applied for Social Security benefits? The VA counselor doesn't want you working? got that in writing? that'll help.

What are you service connected for if anything?

Keep in touch,

Cg'up2009

Edited by cowgirl

First I have to ask what was VA's response to your letters asking why the claim for hypertension was not acted upon?

Are you sure it was not denied and due to a move or something you just did not receive the decision?

You said that you developed hypertension during your service. Did you receive a diagnosis of hypertension from the AF?

In the 2003 denial - how many high readings that meet the level required for an award of service connection did you have during your service? One or two will not cut it. When did you recieve you first diagnosis of hypertension?

Just a bit more info on your case will allow for much more input from board members.

Thanks

Clown Man..

You really are funny..especially if you expect the VARO to respond. You said,

"First I have to ask what was VA's response to your letters asking why the claim for hypertension was not acted upon?"

It has been my experience that VA NEVER responds to my letters! You might get an Iris email response which will say nothing like, "If you have questions on your claim, or wish to appeal, write to your VARO"

In my case, I kept writing the VARO asking them why they did not respond to my 2004 NOD. They said NOTHING until I filed a "Writ of Mandamus" in 2008 demanding a response. Even after the CAVC judge ORDERED they respond, they lied and said my 2004 NOD was "interpreted as a claim for benefits".

When I sent them a letter which demonstrated that no claims were ever denied or awarded as of the 2004 NOD date and their "interpretation" was simply not true, how did they respond?

You guessed it. They NEVER RESPOND. More recently, I sent a "special claims handling" request to the VARO Cleveland, because evidence of mine was shredded by the Cleveland VARO. How did they respond to my letters? They NEVER RESPOND. However, how did VA management respond to Cleveland VARO shredding 58 documents, according to the VAOIG? This time they responded. They promoted the manager. Here it is:

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfdec08/nf120408-1.htm

• HadIt.com Elder

Selea,

Have you asked for assistance in getting a copy of your va medical records? My medical records are mostly in the computer, but in the 90's paper was still used.

Can you tell us have you found your military medical records yet? and do you have a Veteran Service Officer? And if your vocational counselor doesnt want you working - do you have that in writing? Please let us know how we can help you.

Bronco, sounds like you have tried diligently; do you have a vso? or have you gone to the Cleveland office in person? If you sent a personal letter to the VA, a copy of it should be in your Cfile. Do you have a current copy of that? trying to help.

Best to ya,

Cg'up2009