VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Alj Hearing Date Finally Set

Rate this question

ltate90

Question

MY LAWYER CALLED YESTERDAY AND SAID THAT THE HEARING OFFICE CALLED AND SET A HEARING DATE FOR MARCH 27, 2009 @ 1:30PM. I SHOULD RECEIVE THE OFFICIAL LETTER CLOSER TO THE ACTUAL HEARING DATE ( 20 DAYS ). WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Be sure and take a list of your meds to give to your lawyer. If you can look up and print out the side effects. Sometimes the meds you take mean more than a diagnosis.

Good Luck

At the Hearing allow your lawyer to do the heavy lifting. Follow his advice and I think its best to stick to any question asked and not elaborate.

yes i fully understand what you're saying pete, i gave my a copy of my most recent med list. matter of fact once i received my letter about the hearing he requested it from me and my medical records. can you tell me what is a pre brief letter, my lawyer says he's going to write the alj one in the middle of month.

That will be a letter your attorney writes that summarizes the issues, and provides some backing and evidence for each issue you are pursuing. It is a persuasive writing, setting forth the reasons (and evidence) that you should be awarded benefits.

Free

yes i fully understand what you're saying pete, i gave my a copy of my most recent med list. matter of fact once i received my letter about the hearing he requested it from me and my medical records. can you tell me what is a pre brief letter, my lawyer says he's going to write the alj one in the middle of month.

free,

thanks for the input, i hope the alj really looks at my case really hard. the closer i get to march 27th the nervous i get. did you have to put one of these pre-brief letters together and turn it into the judge. my lawyer said most alj want you to write these letters 10 days prior to your hearing date. and do they really help you out and in most cases will they get you otr decision.

Yes. I have read they are very helpful - because they put it all together in a very concise way. And sometimes they can decide your case without a hearing. They can only decide in your favor in that case though.

I was very impressed with the judge at my son's hearing. He was very nice to us - and actually very helpful. I would say he was also very good at reading people. I think he decided as much by the way you answered a question as he did by what you actually said.

Here is a good run down of what the hearing can be like:

http://www.4socialsecuritydisability.com/The_hearing.htm

free,

thanks for the input, i hope the alj really looks at my case really hard. the closer i get to march 27th the nervous i get. did you have to put one of these pre-brief letters together and turn it into the judge. my lawyer said most alj want you to write these letters 10 days prior to your hearing date. and do they really help you out and in most cases will they get you otr decision.

Itate,

What health issues are you dealing with that you feel you should

be granted SSA benefits.

You can go to the SSA website and look up those health issues

and compare your medical evidence to their requirements.

Doing this will show you in black and white what's required.

Let us know if you do this and if it helps calm your nerves any.

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/p...onals/bluebook/

Edited by carlie