• HadIt.com Elder

In 1993 while visiting my Mom in El Paso Texas she had me test with a borrowed glucose monitoring kit and my readings were all over 300. I reviewed my medical records from VA and saw that my tests indicated high reading of blood and sugar in urine.

I brought this up with my primary care Doc and he has an A1C that was high and told me I was diabetic and put me on glyberide in 1995. The first week I took it I broke out in rashs and felt like hell but over time my A1C improved and I got better or so I thought. Its been a constant battle with little or no help nor training from VA but now although I take insulin 2 kinds and metformin my control is not what it should be. My Doc is now concerned and I am testing 2 times a day and will go to 4 times until my next appointment. I am very discouraged at the moment.

When I get control I have problems gaining weight but less problems with neuropathy and when I don't have tight control I usually feel better. Its very hard for me to explain this.

I am wondering if I should use my Medicare and find a Doc who specializes in diabetes. I am convinced that the VA is not my best friend on this issue and that they know a lot more than what they tell me.

This morning my reading was over 300 and I am back where I started. I am really discouraged about this mess.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

If you have medicare go that route, I aggree they don't sound like your best friends. Konw that you and I talke awhile back saying you were on avandia and the VA took you off. That is what I am on a combo of avandia and metaformin avndamet 1000mg twice a day. it has my fasting down to below 115. I would find a good doc fast and get it under control...

Know about the ups and downs in how you feel it is not fun...

Take care