VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&t Chapter 35?

Rate this question

Markn123

Question

I have just received p&T and my wife wants to use the Chapter 35 benefits. she has to get her high school diploma or GED first before starting community college courses. Does Chapter 35 pay benefits while getting diploma or GED?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Good question, one that I have no answer for. Your wife should go the the college and speak to the VA person in charge over VA benefits to get the right answer.

Yes she can. She also can go through Voc Rehab for counseling to decide what she wants to do. Most people don't know about that.

• HadIt.com Elder

V.A. education office has a telephone number of 1 888 GI BILL1. I think I remember hearing something in V.A. chapter 35 about remedial training but everything V.A. pays out goes against the calculated period of eligibility. If you became disabled 100% within 3 years of discharge she will have 20 years to use the benefit but otherwise if you became totally disabled later she will only have 10 years from the date of notification to use those benefits. She only has 45 months of eligibility.

• HadIt.com Elder
V.A. education office has a telephone number of 1 888 GI BILL1. I think I remember hearing something in V.A. chapter 35 about remedial training but everything V.A. pays out goes against the calculated period of eligibility. If you became disabled 100% within 3 years of discharge she will have 20 years to use the benefit but otherwise if you became totally disabled later she will only have 10 years from the date of notification to use those benefits. She only has 45 months of eligibility.

• HadIt.com Elder

I do know that there is remedial training offered, but it is very limited in the scope of what is offered, and yes it does count against the remaing time left.