VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange And Tonsil Cancer

Rate this question

Lawyer4Vet

Question

Hi All:

When I Googled this topic I found a current thread in these forums regarding VA claims for service-connected tonsil cancer due to in-country expoure to Agent Orange dioxin. After going to that thread via Google, I was unable to reply to any post because it said it was "read only," even though there were recent posts. I've not been able to find that thread via HadIt.com.

I first began representing a Viet Nam vet for this claim when I was just a student in law school. It has taken nearly 16 years, that's right -- 16 years, and a successful appeal to the Court of Veterans Claims, but the veteran's widow and children have now established service connection for the the veteran's tonsil cancer and they will now get all the benefits they are entitled to.

I want to share my experience with this type of claim with other vets who have such a claim. If someone out there can direct me as to how I can access the thread regarding tonsil cancer and AO so that I can post there, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

if you give me a link to the google search and the specific topic i might be able to find it for you.

Hi All:

When I Googled this topic I found a current thread in these forums regarding VA claims for service-connected tonsil cancer due to in-country expoure to Agent Orange dioxin. After going to that thread via Google, I was unable to reply to any post because it said it was "read only," even though there were recent posts. I've not been able to find that thread via HadIt.com.

I first began representing a Viet Nam vet for this claim when I was just a student in law school. It has taken nearly 16 years, that's right -- 16 years, and a successful appeal to the Court of Veterans Claims, but the veteran's widow and children have now established service connection for the the veteran's tonsil cancer and they will now get all the benefits they are entitled to.

I want to share my experience with this type of claim with other vets who have such a claim. If someone out there can direct me as to how I can access the thread regarding tonsil cancer and AO so that I can post there, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

• HadIt.com Elder
Hi All:

Congratulations on the win, Lawyer4Vet .

Here is the Agent Orange Tonsil Cancer thread you asked about. I'll try to pull it up to the top for you. Originated Dec. 30, 2008, you will find it here:

hadit.com Veterans Forum > General VA Claims Questions & Information > (VA Claims Research) Veterans Affairs Claims and Benefits Research How did you win the claim? When did you win it? What kind of tonsil cancer did the vet have? I have an Agent Orange claim for a metastatic squamous cell carcinoma involving the tonsil. I'm just waiting for the denial letter, so I can file a NOD.

Cmdr. Bob

• HadIt.com Elder
Hi All:

Well, Lawyer4Vet , just like Pompeii, the original Agent Orange topic I resurrected for you, has now sunk two or three layers down. I see Cavman has joined us, excellent. This is the best place for your AO topic anyway. It originated in a "General VA Claims....topic section. Please tell us more about your win.

Thanks for the link to the requested thread, Bob. But, I go there and try to post and it still comes back with an error that the forum is read only. So, since you guys have found my post, I'll just continue the topic of Agent Orange and tonsil cancer here.

How did we eventually win the claim? Well first of all, perseverance played no small part in our nearly 16-year battle. Don't give up, guys. We eventually prevailed on the claim because after so many years of unwarranted denials and delays from the Department, we finally got the case to an independent decision maker -- The Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. We "won" because the judge saw clearly that applying the applicable law to the "evidence of record" (i.e., the evidence in the claims file) compelled him to conclude that there was a causal nexus between the veteran's tonsil cancer (adenosquamous cell carcinoma that originated in the tonsil) and his presumed exposure to the suspected carcinogen of Agent Orange dioxin decades earlier during his two tours in Nam.

I know this post doesn't give you any specifics, and that you are anxious to hear more from me. Please be patient. I am working on a "paper" which gives tips about fighting the VA over this kind of claim. I'll post it VERY soon. I promise.

In closing, let me say that the family veteran I represented who died from tonsillar cancer due to his dioxin exposure in Nam was my brother-in-law, and his surviving spouse and kids are my sister and nieces. I have more than just a passing idea of what you and your families are going through. I didn't come to this forum to solicit business. I'm here to help -- if I can.