VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

Charlie_brown

Question

Hi all,

Some background info before we get to the questions I have.

I served at Tallil AB in 2005 and while there my father committed suicide. I was told my leave would be chargeable so I only took ten days and went right back to Iraq. ( I later found out this was a lie and I was authorized 30 days non-chargeable) Three months later two civilians were killed who attempted to run the gate in a large truck. I came back a changed man and separated from the military soon after. My wife and I had marriage problems to the point that she was telling me a divorce was imminent if I did not seek help. I saw one psychiatrist who wanted me to talk about my feelings then visited a new doctor who felt I possibly had PTSD. She felt I was unable to properly deal with my father's suicide and after the civilians were killed it added to my previously unexplained changes.

I am on a couple of medications to aide with anxiety and depression. I am in the process of adding PTSD to my original claim. I have already forwarded all medical records from my primary care doctor along with my stressor statement to the VA. I also had my initial appointment with the behavior health clinic at the VA. The psychiatrist stated I did in fact have PTSD. I asked her the severity of my symptoms and she stated middle of the road. Some of the symptoms discussed and agreed upon were: anxiety, depression, irritability, road rage, lack of social relationships, decreased interest in previous activities, and lack of family relationships. I have a follow up appointment at the VA to go over my meds and counseling.

On to the questions:

#1) Where will my claim go from this point?

#2) Will the counselors attempt to "heal me" in order to reduce the severity of my claim?

I dont want to be caught of guard. I do know I need to go back over all of my symptoms again with the doctor and discuss them all no matter how small. I just need some guidance because I don't want the VA to downplay anything.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

TITLE 38--PENSIONS, BONUSES, AND VETERANS' RELIEF

CHAPTER I--DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRSPART 4--SCHEDULE FOR RATING DISABILITIES

Subpart B--Disability Ratings

4.129 Mental disorders due to traumatic stress.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name............. 100%

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships............... 70%

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships....... 50%

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events)...................................... 30%

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by continuous medication............ 10% A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication................... 0%

#2) Will the counselors attempt to "heal me" in order to reduce the severity of my claim?

I dont think you should care if you get healed what type of claim you would receive.

You might hinder any care or recovery you gain if in the back of your mind you are worrying about a couple extra bucks a month.

Dont waste a single min of your life worrying about what would happen if you get help, get help and your life will be better. If you find yourself holding back and have a counsellor who is actualling trying to help, open up and let them. You have your whole life to gain, a better mind is worth it. Your wife is worth it and I am sure you would be happier. I waited too long worrying about my 20 year retirement and now I am kind of in the same boat as you, wish I would have gotten help sooner and not cared about the darn retirement. Good luck, I hope one way or another you get healed,

• HadIt.com Elder

I dont think you should care if you get healed what type of claim you would receive.

You might hinder any care or recovery you gain if in the back of your mind you are worrying about a couple extra bucks a month.

Dont waste a single min of your life worrying about what would happen if you get help, get help and your life will be better. If you find yourself holding back and have a counsellor who is actualling trying to help, open up and let them. You have your whole life to gain, a better mind is worth it. Your wife is worth it and I am sure you would be happier. I waited too long worrying about my 20 year retirement and now I am kind of in the same boat as you, wish I would have gotten help sooner and not cared about the darn retirement. Good luck, I hope one way or another you get healed,

You are right on target, SFCTRUCKDRIVER. I fought the VA for my freedom, every step of the way. I'm now well over 20 year protected, so I don't have to worry. However, in my youth, I gave them trouble... etc. I even turned down SSD, when I was told I qualified for it, Back in the 1970's, because of the ball and chain syndrome,you elude to. I applaud your post, and, am impressed with your wisdom. Well put, SFCTRUCKDRIVER.

• HadIt.com Elder

I anxiously wait for the day that the VA can prove it has cured PTSD or any other Major Anxiety Disorder for that matter. The main thing that can be done is to educate and medicate so that one may coexist and actually have some sort of life with it.

Knowing what is happening, how to deal and having meds that help have made Panic Disorder survivable but have not cured me so far.

Hey Pete53,

I agree with you. Get on a life track of some kind that is sorta nrml. Question? I have 50% sc for ptsd and have only been prescribed Prozasin and Ambien CR. It has 'nt been much help for my dreams or for my sleeplessness. I don"t go to VA for a regular doc because of the distance. But I do see a local doc at the clinic here and that is all he has prescribed so far. I have another appt in a week or so depends on weather. Should I ask him for anything specific? Just asking for an opinion. Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Meds seem to work different and its kind of a dial in process. If you are not happy with how you are doing your Doc will probably adjust your meds. I don't take either of your meds so I honestly don't know.

Edited by Pete53