VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

Charlie_brown

Question

Hi all,

Some background info before we get to the questions I have.

I served at Tallil AB in 2005 and while there my father committed suicide. I was told my leave would be chargeable so I only took ten days and went right back to Iraq. ( I later found out this was a lie and I was authorized 30 days non-chargeable) Three months later two civilians were killed who attempted to run the gate in a large truck. I came back a changed man and separated from the military soon after. My wife and I had marriage problems to the point that she was telling me a divorce was imminent if I did not seek help. I saw one psychiatrist who wanted me to talk about my feelings then visited a new doctor who felt I possibly had PTSD. She felt I was unable to properly deal with my father's suicide and after the civilians were killed it added to my previously unexplained changes.

I am on a couple of medications to aide with anxiety and depression. I am in the process of adding PTSD to my original claim. I have already forwarded all medical records from my primary care doctor along with my stressor statement to the VA. I also had my initial appointment with the behavior health clinic at the VA. The psychiatrist stated I did in fact have PTSD. I asked her the severity of my symptoms and she stated middle of the road. Some of the symptoms discussed and agreed upon were: anxiety, depression, irritability, road rage, lack of social relationships, decreased interest in previous activities, and lack of family relationships. I have a follow up appointment at the VA to go over my meds and counseling.

On to the questions:

#1) Where will my claim go from this point?

#2) Will the counselors attempt to "heal me" in order to reduce the severity of my claim?

I dont want to be caught of guard. I do know I need to go back over all of my symptoms again with the doctor and discuss them all no matter how small. I just need some guidance because I don't want the VA to downplay anything.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

no problem Pete, thanks anyway. I guess I will be talking to my doc and start figuring this out. I would really like some quality sleep, like 4-6 straight hours.

I was really hoping you guys would see the post as it was intended and not as it could easily have been taken. The problem with the VA is that if we get better, they cut the money. I can completely see how a guy would slack off a little bit due to the drastic amount of money it could mean. If a vet is 70% he is 70% period. I agree, PTSD doesn't get cured, it simply gets treated better. The med's help. I take zoloft and kolodipin, and all I get is alot of calm. the dreams, the panic, the memories still come and go but the meds help me get through the PTSD. Good luck in everything, I can say all this because my Doc's arent VA and I know they care about ME and not the claim I get. It sucks that the VA put us in the position they do, The ball and chain syndrome as he put it only adds a stressor to a person just trying to get the help we need.

Here is some food for thought, the last couple days I have not taken my meds. I got feeling alot better while on them and I thought I was cured. Well, I have had a horrible two days and as anyone can see from my posts on a couple topics, I have not been a proper poster on this site. I restarted them, and am getting my mind back.

PTSD is NOT curable, only treatable.

forgive me if I pissed anyone off.

Erich

With the diagnosis of PTSD -you will need a proven nexus to your service.

"Three months later two civilians were killed who attempted to run the gate in a large truck"

Can you prove this event and that your MOS put you there at the same time this happened?

I certainly would think that with the parental suicide, this event in Iraq would have caused you even more pain and stress.

I have seen claims where a parent died while the vet was in service and that factor alone did not compel the VA to award PTSD comp.

Or to even consider this as relevant to the claim- but suicide of a parent is not the same as a natural caused death and the fact that you didnt have enough down time could help the VA understand that this

excerbated the response you had to the civilian deaths.