VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Smc Add To You Compensation ?

Rate this topic

Guest Vietnam Tanker

With the exception of SMC K awards which are added to your regular compensation, all other SMC rates in the schedule are in lieu (replace) of the regular compensation.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)

Compensation for Serious Disabilities

VA can pay an added compensation (paid in addition to the regular Disability Compensation) to a veteran who, as a result of military service, incurred the loss or loss of use of specific organs or extremities. Loss, or loss of use, is described as either an amputation or, having no effective remaining function of an extremity or organ. Loss, or loss of use, is described as either an amputation or, having no effective remaining function of an extremity or organ.

The disabilities VA can consider for SMC include:

loss, or loss of use, of a hand or foot

immobility of a joint or paralysis

loss of sight of an eye (having only light perception)

loss, or loss of use, of a reproductive organ

complete loss, or loss of use, of both buttocks

deafness of both ears (having absence of air and bone conduction)

inability to communicate by speech (complete organic aphonia)

loss of a percentage of tissue from a single breast, or both breasts, from mastectomy or radiation treatment

A Combination of Disabilities

The VA will pay higher rates for combinations of these disabilities such as loss or loss of use of the feet, legs, hands, and arms, in specific monetary increments, based on the particular combination of the disabilities. There are also higher payments for various combinations of severe deafness with bilateral blindness.

Additional SMC is available if a veteran is service connected for paraplegia, with complete loss of bowel and bladder control.

In addition, if you have other service-connected disabilities that, in combination with the above special monthly compensation, meet certain criteria, a higher amount of SMC can also be considered.

If a veteran is service connected at the 100% rate and is housebound, bedridden, or is so helpless to need the aid and attendance of another person, then consideration of payment of additional SMC can be considered. The amount of SMC will vary depending on the level of aid and attendance needed.

Application Process:

You should contact you local VA regional office for information about applying for SMC. In determining qualifications for SMC, the VA must review the medical evidence regarding the loss or loss of use and then make a decision regarding the level of SMC to be paid.

2009 Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) Tables

SMC is a compensation (paid in addition to the regular Disability Compensation) to a veteran who, as a result of military service, incurred the loss or loss of use of specific organs or extremities. Loss, or loss of use, is described as either an amputation or, having no effective remaining function of an extremity or organ. There are several sub-categories of the SMC (SMC-K, SMC-L, SMC-Q, etc.) which affect the monthly payment rate.

SMC = Special Monthly Compensation

Paid either in addition to (SMC K), or in place of regular ratings (all others). There are several different levels of SMC, and several different combinations of them as well. The most common are Housebound and Aid and Attendance, both typically paid at the rate of SMC L. Higher levels of Aid and Attendance are allowed, depending on the amount of care needed by the vet. They are typically paid at the rate of either SMC R1, or R2. If you are rated at 100% for a single disability, and have another single disability that is ratable at 50%, or 100%, then you are entitled to the next higher rate of SMC. This is in addition to the addtional 60% (single or combined) disabilities that jbasser spoke of. SMC is a complicated beast that is very hard to understand. If you want to learn more about it, it is governed by 38 USC 1114, and regulated by 38 CFR 3.350

Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)

Compensation for Serious Disabilities

VA can pay an added compensation (paid in addition to the regular Disability Compensation) to a veteran who, as a result of military service, incurred the loss or loss of use of specific organs or extremities. Loss, or loss of use, is described as either an amputation or, having no effective remaining function of an extremity or organ. Loss, or loss of use, is described as either an amputation or, having no effective remaining function of an extremity or organ.

The disabilities VA can consider for SMC include:

loss, or loss of use, of a hand or foot

immobility of a joint or paralysis

loss of sight of an eye (having only light perception)

loss, or loss of use, of a reproductive organ

complete loss, or loss of use, of both buttocks

deafness of both ears (having absence of air and bone conduction)

inability to communicate by speech (complete organic aphonia)

loss of a percentage of tissue from a single breast, or both breasts, from mastectomy or radiation treatment

A Combination of Disabilities

The VA will pay higher rates for combinations of these disabilities such as loss or loss of use of the feet, legs, hands, and arms, in specific monetary increments, based on the particular combination of the disabilities. There are also higher payments for various combinations of severe deafness with bilateral blindness.

Additional SMC is available if a veteran is service connected for paraplegia, with complete loss of bowel and bladder control.

In addition, if you have other service-connected disabilities that, in combination with the above special monthly compensation, meet certain criteria, a higher amount of SMC can also be considered.

If a veteran is service connected at the 100% rate and is housebound, bedridden, or is so helpless to need the aid and attendance of another person, then consideration of payment of additional SMC can be considered. The amount of SMC will vary depending on the level of aid and attendance needed.

Application Process:

You should contact you local VA regional office for information about applying for SMC. In determining qualifications for SMC, the VA must review the medical evidence regarding the loss or loss of use and then make a decision regarding the level of SMC to be paid.

2009 Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) Tables

SMC is a compensation (paid in addition to the regular Disability Compensation) to a veteran who, as a result of military service, incurred the loss or loss of use of specific organs or extremities. Loss, or loss of use, is described as either an amputation or, having no effective remaining function of an extremity or organ. There are several sub-categories of the SMC (SMC-K, SMC-L, SMC-Q, etc.) which affect the monthly payment rate.

SMC = Special Monthly Compensation

Paid either in addition to (SMC K), or in place of regular ratings (all others). There are several different levels of SMC, and several different combinations of them as well. The most common are Housebound and Aid and Attendance, both typically paid at the rate of SMC L. Higher levels of Aid and Attendance are allowed, depending on the amount of care needed by the vet. They are typically paid at the rate of either SMC R1, or R2. If you are rated at 100% for a single disability, and have another single disability that is ratable at 50%, or 100%, then you are entitled to the next higher rate of SMC. This is in addition to the addtional 60% (single or combined) disabilities that jbasser spoke of. SMC is a complicated beast that is very hard to understand. If you want to learn more about it, it is governed by 38 USC 1114, and regulated by 38 CFR 3.350

• 2 years later...

I understand this is an old thread, but I read it found it useful and was encouraged to research some more, so the I would be able to understand the SMC process and rating information. I found a free pdf/ebook at www.purpleheart.org under Special Monthly Compensation. The ebook explains in detail the various SMCs and the process to request them, It also explains each level and each service connected injury and how that specific "loss of use" is utilized for additional compensation.

I am adding this because even in 2011 veterans are having difficulty with the VA process, and I knew nothing of SMCs until I read about on this forum.

I understand this is an old thread, but I read it found it useful and was encouraged to research some more, so the I would be able to understand the SMC process and rating information. I found a free pdf/ebook at www.purpleheart.org under Special Monthly Compensation. The ebook explains in detail the various SMCs and the process to request them, It also explains each level and each service connected injury and how that specific "loss of use" is utilized for additional compensation.

I am adding this because even in 2011 veterans are having difficulty with the VA process, and I knew nothing of SMCs until I read about on this forum.

HELP! We too are very confused about the SMC awards and what is what. I looked up the purple heart site and did not find the ebook. Can you tell me what I did wrong.

Thanks-

Mts. R