VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inappropriate Group Discussions?

Rate this question

purple

Question

If you are upset by or sensitive to discussions of homosexual topics; this could be triggering to you. Just be forewarned. Thank-you.

I was participating in a PTSD Women's group recently at the VAMC. The focus of the group was supposed to be trauma issues. During one group mtg a group member mentioned that she was/is homosexual. No big deal. Another group member made mention of the same...again, no big deal. However, they kept talking about their lifestyles and preferences throughout the group. I found it odd as I thought the group was about trauma. The tdoc said nothing.

The following week, one of these members made a very disturbing comment about having fantasies of a particular young girl she used to watch on TV and described what she was wearing, etc. Again, the tdoc said nothing.

I've never returned to the group. In my last appt with this tdoc I told her that I found this extremely disturbing and why didn't she do anything about it during group? Her comment was that there was nothing wrong with this other vets comments and that I should be prepared for diverse conversation during groups.

Really?

Am I way off base here or is my tdoc off her rocker????

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Pete-

You know better than to apologize on here. We of all ppl "get it". And no, from everything I've read and researched, there is no cure for PTSD.

I'm accused of avoiding as well. I also told my tdocs that it's a survival skill--they don't get it. They somehow see it as a negative thing.

Mike-

As far as any therapy goes...this tdoc that is running this group...she's also my one-one therapist. Oh yes. So to answer your question about therapy....no, I'm not getting any therapy. I have appts every couple of weeks, but it's far from therapy.

Edited by purple

Agreed, Pete and Purple! Maybe I can see that it would be nice not to have anything to avoid, maybe someone has been returned to some activity from time to time, but for me, avoidance is better than the alternative.

Purple,

What they said is totally inappropriate. They are as much a pedophile as if they were men. They don’t get a pass because they are women. I don’t care what their sexual preference is, they are sexual deviants. Those were children on the Mickey Mouse Club. Dirty Old B*tches!

Rental, This the the pure Catch 22 of VA's PTSD "treatment" or "therapy". Where the VA counselors or facilitator's encourage discussion, but then limit that discorse to nicey-nice talk, rather than dealing with the emotional gristle of trauma survivors. These are harrowing experiences, life and death, and the VA counselors may well be very unprepared for the consequences of lifting the lid on Pandora's Box. The result of this supression is either more mind numbing, or, like you said, possible in-patient confinement for the willingness to be brutally honest in treatment. There seems to be no "safe place" within the VA medical system to deal with PTSD. Maybe Vietnam Vets have had some good group discussions, I would be curious to know if that's the case. ~Wings

My group is great and so is the Doc who leads it. I think, however, that where I am has one of the best programs in place in the country, in particular for women. We do have a couple of women in the group who live a lesbian and or "bi" (whatever the heck that is) lifestyle but it rarely comes up in our discussions.

Now, having made that statement, I still agree with Wings' post. In fact, I can recall a time when our Doc brought up that very subject matter. She also indicated how disturbed she is by some VAMC's treatment of PTSD vets, especially women who have suffered from sexual trauma. So, I do know that some women feel "safer" in these groups to "tell all"...if you will.

IMHO, if the groups go off topic and you are not in a place in your healing to exercise some assertiveness then you do what you did and dismiss yourself from the group. I personally would have nipped the matter in the bud and explained that they could have that discussion off the clock with those that cared. You have as much right to the therapy for your own healing/recovery as anyone else does and there just needs to be that element of respect demanded...no matter the setting.

I have PTSD from active duty MST and after duty ST.

I have attended plenty of one on one therapy.

I have attended at least five PTSD Therapy Groups.

I am gay.

The type of conversation regarding Mickey Mouse Club

is totally unacceptable and revolting.

This "therapy group" virtually has no "professional facillitator".

Straight or Gay is not even relevant.

This is no therapy group, it is simply a prime example of another

failed VA program. It is filling slots with warm bodies in order to

continue receiving more funding for inferior and inadequate treatment.

carlie

Thank-you Carlie.

More reason than ever why I want to report her (the tdoc, not the woman who made the comments). I haven't trusted her since our first mtg. I have another appt with her; but doubt I will be keeping it. She knows that I don't trust her---it's quite obvious, I don't try to hide it!

I believe she has done me more harm than good in these past few months. Now I just have to find someone in the VA who will listen....ROFLMAO.