VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inappropriate Group Discussions?

Rate this question

purple

Question

If you are upset by or sensitive to discussions of homosexual topics; this could be triggering to you. Just be forewarned. Thank-you.

I was participating in a PTSD Women's group recently at the VAMC. The focus of the group was supposed to be trauma issues. During one group mtg a group member mentioned that she was/is homosexual. No big deal. Another group member made mention of the same...again, no big deal. However, they kept talking about their lifestyles and preferences throughout the group. I found it odd as I thought the group was about trauma. The tdoc said nothing.

The following week, one of these members made a very disturbing comment about having fantasies of a particular young girl she used to watch on TV and described what she was wearing, etc. Again, the tdoc said nothing.

I've never returned to the group. In my last appt with this tdoc I told her that I found this extremely disturbing and why didn't she do anything about it during group? Her comment was that there was nothing wrong with this other vets comments and that I should be prepared for diverse conversation during groups.

Really?

Am I way off base here or is my tdoc off her rocker????

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I totally agree with your point Wings. I'm just grabbing at straws to find a way for Purple to shut them up. I personally would have just walked out. That would go the same if it were homo- or heterosexual fantasies. There is a time and a place, and that is not it. I think the only exception would be retribution fantasies, and I think that would be pushing the boundaries and could even land the veteran in psych ward for 48 hours.

• HadIt.com Elder
I totally agree with your point Wings. I'm just grabbing at straws to find a way for Purple to shut them up. I personally would have just walked out. That would go the same if it were homo- or heterosexual fantasies. There is a time and a place, and that is not it. I think the only exception would be retribution fantasies, and I think that would be pushing the boundaries and could even land the veteran in psych ward for 48 hours.

Rental, This the the pure Catch 22 of VA's PTSD "treatment" or "therapy". Where the VA counselors or facilitator's encourage discussion, but then limit that discorse to nicey-nice talk, rather than dealing with the emotional gristle of trauma survivors. These are harrowing experiences, life and death, and the VA counselors may well be very unprepared for the consequences of lifting the lid on Pandora's Box. The result of this supression is either more mind numbing, or, like you said, possible in-patient confinement for the willingness to be brutally honest in treatment. There seems to be no "safe place" within the VA medical system to deal with PTSD. Maybe Vietnam Vets have had some good group discussions, I would be curious to know if that's the case. ~Wings

Rental, This the the pure Catch 22 of VA's PTSD "treatment" or "therapy". Where the VA counselors or facilitator's encourage discussion, but then limit that discorse to nicey-nice talk, rather than dealing with the emotional gristle of trauma survivors. These are harrowing experiences, life and death, and the VA counselors may well be very unprepared for the consequences of lifting the lid on Pandora's Box. The result of this supression is either more mind numbing, or, like you said, possible in-patient confinement for the willingness to be brutally honest in treatment. There seems to be no "safe place" within the VA medical system to deal with PTSD. Maybe Vietnam Vets have had some good group discussions, I would be curious to know if that's the case. ~Wings

May be it is a catch 22. However, I have a problem just being in any group. And I would probably also just walk out. Unfortunatly you then don't receive your much needed therapy. Hmmmmm.... what to do?

When our group was limited to military sexual trauma for women only and led by my former RN that I used to see....it was a good group as far as being able to openly discuss specific MST issues. We stayed on-topic but weren't required to re-tell our trauma if we didn't want too.

During our 90-minute group session it was all "business". Now having said that....after group, if we all agreed, we would stay after, sometimes RN person would stay, sometimes she would leave...and we would just BS. Nothing still inappropriate, but we would talk about anything and even do some VA-bashing!

Still when I mentioned this format-type to the current tdoc, she actually labeled me--in front of the whole group--as an "excluder". She said I was one who is interested in excluding others from the group and this only served as a detriment to the entire group...........................................................................

......................................................................oh yes she did.

I'm telling ya' she's a piece of work. Not sure where they dug her up from.

• HadIt.com Elder

Group therapy helped me more than one on one. I just never was able to trust people who got their paychecks from the VA.

It really is moot cause the VA hands you off to take pills when they figure that they will have to pay you at 100% P&T.

Anyone know of a Veteran who was cured of PTSD?

I know people who can better manage their symptoms and have learned how to deal with it but no cure that I know of.

My theory of PTSD is that some traumatic event aka stressor causes the brain to become rewired. Once the wires are out of whack you can make minor adjustments and even lead a someone decent life but you can never go back to before. That is why the VA should pay your Service damaged you.

I work very hard at trying to keep stress out of my life. Of course life is full of stress so it makes it difficult. Stress triggers panic attacks for me.

So my family and hard work enabled me to be better and some times able to do stuff I never dreamed that I could but I know that I reached a point here it became impossible to deal with work as I knew it. Now I have limited my exposure to things that made me sick. Some of the Docs call it avoidance and I call it good mental health.

Sorry did not know I would start this and end up with a semi rant.

I have low expectations that the VA will help me or even wants to I have been anxious far to long.

When our group was limited to military sexual trauma for women only and led by my former RN that I used to see....it was a good group as far as being able to openly discuss specific MST issues. We stayed on-topic but weren't required to re-tell our trauma if we didn't want too.

During our 90-minute group session it was all "business". Now having said that....after group, if we all agreed, we would stay after, sometimes RN person would stay, sometimes she would leave...and we would just BS. Nothing still inappropriate, but we would talk about anything and even do some VA-bashing!

Still when I mentioned this format-type to the current tdoc, she actually labeled me--in front of the whole group--as an "excluder". She said I was one who is interested in excluding others from the group and this only served as a detriment to the entire group...........................................................................

......................................................................oh yes she did.

I'm telling ya' she's a piece of work. Not sure where they dug her up from.

Sorry Purple. Maybe she came from the more "Politicaly correct" group of folks. I hope you are getting therapy help in some way. Especially since you know and are willing. Stay cool and keep pushing to heal the best you can.