VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bivouac 1968 Sheppard Air Force Base Tx

Rate this question

halos2

Question

The VA does not acknowledge this training I went through. They say my mos is not congruent with tinnitus claim. It is documented in my smr/str however they act like it is not in the records.

Anyone else attend this around this year?

Anyone else do the airplane crash scene, or bombs/grenades/artilitary/gas mask and removal of mask in totally dark building? What about being left out in the wilderness, and having to find your way back? What about treating the "fake patients" injuries while on Bivouac? We went to a very remote site in Ok. We were there over a week, and then I left 2 days early r/t pink eye. Man it was dirty, scarey, and I still don't like odors/smells of any cleansers, gases, and darkness, and man did the tears flow, and the choaking and gasping for air when the masks were removed. Very scarey time. Loud noises all around, and the obstical courses and barbed wire trenches too. Alot of dirt/dust.

Anyone else attend this school?

Any further help would be appreciated. My award letters were left at my mom's house all these years and she has alzheimers and all my original certs are gone, as well as diploma's, etc. I do have this noted in my smr/str that I was treated at sick call and released from bivouac early for pink eye though. The VA act like it is not there, even when brought to their attention written/verbally. My hearing was ex upon enlistment, decreasing upon discharge, and impaired much over the years(VA exams show major deficit and hearing aid in rt ear)with the constant "ringing". Thanks to any who may offer assistance here too.

Edited by halos2

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Grenades? In presenting your claim, you want to be more ordinance specific. You say "training grenades" and nobody will accept a hearing loss argument from you. Those were just grenade bodies which about a 3/4" or 1" hole drilled in the bottom. The 'detonation' was nothing more than the blasting cap of the standard grenade fuse going off and that wasn't as loud as a firecracker.

you might consider they used an "artillery simulator." That would have given a shap whistle before going off and was pretty loud but still not bad. I just did a search "artillery simulators AND decibels." Got a lot of hits. A quick scan revealed numbers ranging between 84 to 165 db. To put that in perspective, a .22 cal. long rifle puts out about 99db. It takes approximately 100db to produce minimal permanent impact loss.

Not to be a nay sayer, but to put your claim chances in perspective, I spent 4 years in the artillery driving tactical vehicles and performing fire direction duties. Complained of tinnitus in service and got a PULHES P3 rating. Loss of records kept me in the arty 2 more years after that.

I am presently 10% tinnitus and 0% s/c bi-lat hearing loss and I don't rate a hearing aid.

your chances of getting a rating on one bivouac pyrotechnic exposure are not good. :D Any closeness to flight lines? Maintenence sheds running loud machinery?? In service illness and/or meds with risk to hearing???

I would think you should try to find a firmer contributing exposure.

I'm sorry not to have anytjhing more positive to add but felt you needed to hear this.

you should rate hearing aids.i do and i'm 10 percent tinnitus and 0 percent bilateral hearing loss.

I don't ever remember being told the name of the place, only that is was in Ok. Did you attend a medical obstical bivouac course while in the usaf?

not while in the usaf.when i went to work at a local airbase as a civil servant they sent us to train at camp gruber.