VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Extra Social Security For Veterans

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

If you are a Veteran receiving social security, or expect to be receiving it soon, then you need to check out this website as you may be entitled to more. (This apparently applies to active duty Veterans only, and not reservists)

In a nutshell you can get an "earnings credit" for military service, which could make your social security check rise. Of course, this is like VA benefits in that you have to ask for this. Make sure you mention this to a Veteran you know, also:

http://vnvets.blogspot.com/2007/01/extra-s...nefits-for.html

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Social Security Office in my area use to (automatic) have you bring in your DD-214 to apply veterans status to Social Security. This was part of the check off procedure when you applied for Social Security. May be now that is sometimes over looked because every thing is application by computer. However, it is good you mentioned it as many vets are probably unaware of it.

Social Security Office in my area use to (automatic) have you bring in your DD-214 to apply veterans status to Social Security. This was part of the check off procedure when you applied for Social Security. May be now that is sometimes over looked because every thing is application by computer. However, it is good you mentioned it as many vets are probably unaware of it.

Another dumb question from me. I applied for SSDI before I applied for VA compensation. My SSDI was denied because of lack of credits for the time period 2000-2007,(years I did not work). Anyway I gave up on SSI and applied for veterans benefits and am now receiving 50% sc PTSD, 10%sc ankle, 10%sc right knee, 10%sc left knee and am working on increase of 0%sc headaches, my total right now is 70%sc. Should I reapply for SSI and include the C&P exams from VA?

Under the Wounded Warriors provision...I would suppose they automatically put you in the category....

http://www.ssa.gov/woundedwarriors/

Thanks spike, I just went to the site you posted and I will call them Tuesday to find out more. I have a doc appt monday. It will be nice if I could get approved.

Thanks spike, I just went to the site you posted and I will call them Tuesday to find out more. I have a doc appt monday. It will be nice if I could get approved.

*Don't forget that SSI is a totally different fund then Social Security Disability(SSD). Almost all other income you receive will effect your eligibility for SSI-Supplemental Security Income--meaning it is a "need" based type benefit. For Social Security Disability: you must have worked 5 good years out of the past 10 years immediate prior to application (exception, I believe, if you are too young to have worked the minimum requirement). You can collect a private pension or VA Comp and still receive Social Security Disability. However, if you receive/apply SSI-Supplemental Security Income, you can be denied, reduced, or removed because of almost all other income. *Please do check Social Security's web site--they administer regular Social Security, Social Security Disability, and SSI-Supplemental Security Income(even though this SSI money does not actually come out of Social Security funding).