VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Extra Social Security For Veterans

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

If you are a Veteran receiving social security, or expect to be receiving it soon, then you need to check out this website as you may be entitled to more. (This apparently applies to active duty Veterans only, and not reservists)

In a nutshell you can get an "earnings credit" for military service, which could make your social security check rise. Of course, this is like VA benefits in that you have to ask for this. Make sure you mention this to a Veteran you know, also:

http://vnvets.blogspot.com/2007/01/extra-s...nefits-for.html

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Mike,

Looking at your profile I see that your last date of service was in 1993....that wouldn't qualify for the eligibility for Wounded Warrior Status which is have to have served during or after 9/11/01

• HadIt.com Elder
If you are a Veteran receiving social security, or expect to be receiving it soon, then you need to check out this website as you may be entitled to more. (This apparently applies to active duty Veterans only, and not reservists)

In a nutshell you can get an "earnings credit" for military service, which could make your social security check rise. Of course, this is like VA benefits in that you have to ask for this. Make sure you mention this to a Veteran you know, also:

http://vnvets.blogspot.com/2007/01/extra-s...nefits-for.html

I was told by Social Security that when there are notified that a claimant is a veteran then Social Security obtains the information on military service from V.A. In my husband's case, however, the V.A. computer just listed his last branch of military service which was the Navy. To this day, I am not sure that V.A. provided Social Security with information on his Army service. The reason why this concerns me is that when a person starts collecting Social Security the earnings records includes 30 years or so of wages.