Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Chapter 35 Certificate Of Eligibility

This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 


Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 


This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.





I always wondered about this. I'm under chapter 35, go to school full time and have the Certificate of Eligibility which pays for my tuition. Before I started college, I was a resident of Texas, but when I started college I was becoming a resident of Louisiana. During the first year of college, the VA office I went to refused to give me the Certificate of Eligibility because they said I had to be a resident of Louisiana, which took two years to become. My parents were confused by this because they had friends whose children moved state to state and were still able to use the Certificate of Eligibility. Even now, I am a resident of Texas, but I go to a school in California; and VA pays my tution. The certificate states that I can use it anywhere in the U.S.

During that time they did send me the monthly benefits, but why couldn't they pay for my tution? Did I have to be a resident of a state to initially get it and then use it wherever I please? Was that some kind of Louisiana VA rule?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Recommended Posts

I am a CHapter 35er-

I live in NY and graduated from on on line university in Virginia-

my favorite professor, Major USMC, actually graded some of my assignments while he was in Okinawa-but most of them at Quantico-he is active duty-

it shouldnt be an issue where you live- this puzzles me:

"During that time they did send me the monthly benefits, but why couldn't they pay for my tution?"

The VA paid me for a rate that depended sole on my tuition.

I didnt get any "monthly VA benefits"

Can you explain?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just spent wuite a bit of time at the VA's DEA web site-

I began to think maybe because I am surviving spouse and not adult child of veteran-maybe this was why my DEA was different from yours-

then I realised my daughter's DEA entitlement (she is veterand adult child of the deceased veteran whose disability entitled us to DEA-

is the exact same entitlement as mine.

Then I found your first post here:


If you owe VA, can they take the amount you owe out of your future education checks instead of you paying them back? If you have past tution fees, can VA pay it and take it out of your future education checks?"

If the VA has made an overpayment to you under DEA (and it appears to me that they might have) you must appeal the overpayment right away.

When VA overpays ,they want to get the money back.

Overpayments can be challenged if you can prove that you accepted the overpayment innocently and that the VA was totally at fault.

Then again perhaps you get Pell Grants or somehow fall into an additional GI bill program.

Cant tell-

But I also cannot understand how the VA Paid your tuition and then sent you $915 a month on top of that-

That would possibly be close to the case for a Voc Rehab stipend and tuition (Chapter 61) but not-as far as I know- for Chapter 35 recipients.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, the overpayment is not related to the situation in this topic.

I was just wondering why they would not pay my tuition at first, and why I had to live in Louisiana for two years before they gave me that certificate and paid my tuition. I would of just stayed in Texas, but I was under 18 and had to move with my parents to Louisiana.

Is it not normal to get paid the monthly benefit and tuition at the same time? It's been happening for a few years, and they never questioned nor sent an overpayment letter about it. They personally pay the tuition, I don't get a check for it, and if I pay any of the tuition, they reimburse me for it. When I went to a University in Louisiana, at the start of each semester I was instructed to get a waiver on my tuition and then apply for the monthly benefits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes-many states do have tuition waivers and other special benefits for dependents of veterans.

I believe that one can obtain the Pell Grant and keep their Chapter benefit 35 too.

That info explains this better-but

"I was just wondering why they would not pay my tuition at first, and why I had to live in Louisiana for two years before they gave me that certificate and paid my tuition"

As long as the period of eligibility for the veteran parent - whose eligibility covered that enrollment-as determined in the effective date in their 100% P & T Award letter-I am at a loss as to why they did not give you the Certificate of Eligibility- I hope others here might have some better response.

I do recall that this certificate has to be formally applied for and I think the application comes with the VA 100% P & T award for the parent or spouse.

And I am sure that you made the formal application-

so this is baffling to me.

Do you still have the letter from VA stating why they refused to pay the tuition?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • Advertisemnt

  • question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.


    All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.


    You can read the forums without registering.


    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.


    Leading to:


    Post straightforward questions and then post background information.


    • A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?


    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.




    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines