VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35 Certificate Of Eligibility

Rate this question

markerpower

Question

Hello,

I always wondered about this. I'm under chapter 35, go to school full time and have the Certificate of Eligibility which pays for my tuition. Before I started college, I was a resident of Texas, but when I started college I was becoming a resident of Louisiana. During the first year of college, the VA office I went to refused to give me the Certificate of Eligibility because they said I had to be a resident of Louisiana, which took two years to become. My parents were confused by this because they had friends whose children moved state to state and were still able to use the Certificate of Eligibility. Even now, I am a resident of Texas, but I go to a school in California; and VA pays my tution. The certificate states that I can use it anywhere in the U.S.

During that time they did send me the monthly benefits, but why couldn't they pay for my tution? Did I have to be a resident of a state to initially get it and then use it wherever I please? Was that some kind of Louisiana VA rule?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds to me like you're not Chapter 35. Maybe Chapter 31? With Chapter 35 the VA doesn't usually pay tuition, just the $915 a month stipend and it's up to you to pay tuition.

pr

The VA pays both my tution and the $915 a month for being full time.

• HadIt.com Elder

Naw, Phillip, he got confused.

He has the same thing going for him that my son does. My son attends the University of Louisiana, Lafayette, and the State of Louisiana picks up his tuition, room/board, books.

And, he'll be getting Chap 35 due to me, starting next month.

Plus, he's a Graduate Assistant, and the University pays him around a grand a month for that......

Louisiana has been REALLY good to him!

Geaux Ragin' Canjuns!

How's about their softball team?