VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Space A Travel For 100% P&t

Yes, your are allow to use billeting. All you have to do is show your ID card provided to TDIU and 100% P&T veterans.

Actually, it depends on the military base. Some allow use of the transit quarters others don't. I have used them since I retired and have been turned away from many of them. Fort Gorden comes to mind as one that would not allow a retiree to use the billits. Fort Jackson on the other hand allowed use, but the ones we were assigned to were so worn out and dirty that we moved off base the next day.....

Randolpha AFB has nice transit quarters, complete with a mini kitchen at a very low cost. Ft Sam Houston forget it never happen GI..... too many soldiers not enougth transit quarters....

so as I said it depends on the base.....

AS for space A. It is very hard to find a flight when you need it, when you find one, there seems to be a lot of soldiers , and retirees trying to get on a flight. It is not true that giving space a to 100% or TDIU veterans would not cost the government any more money. These flights burn up fuel somewhat in part to the weight of the cargo, or passengers, and we all know what fuel cost these days. I for one hope that this is one benefit that is not given to 100% or TDIU because as I said there never seems to be enought seats for the retirees and active duty soldiers when we need one. I have spent many a day burning time because I could not get a flight out due to a number of reasons, no available seat being the reason most of the time. ..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

BTW, most Navy stations have what are called Navy Lodge's.

All of them that I have seen have been less than 5 years old, and very reminiscent of a very nice Best Western Hotel.

There was a concert over in Ft. Worth here a while back, and it was very late when it was over, so I had stopped on our way to the concert to check, and yes, they had several rooms available. So we just stopped there and spent the night instead of driving home. Cost, I believe, was $35.

• 1 year later...

I think I chimned in about Space 'A' in another thread.. a while back..

while i was active duty I flew a lot of Space A. The downside is being stuck at crappy palces for up to 3 days waiting for a flight,, and being bumped.. sometimes there is no lodging and you must hang around a really craphole in misreable weather.. other times, you would gewt going on a huge C-5 with only 5 people.. other times crowded a/c, other times a lear jet with 3 people.. it viried all the time.. back then it was free then, they bumped the price to about $10.00 to Europe.. which included a flight kitchen sack meal..

MY big problem, if I ever get my full benefits , if I get the 100% SC- P%T, is that it would be nice to travel, I am in extremely poor health... I need access to a local VA clinic, hospital within short nitice...

The accomadations can be from nice to craphole..

but hey, the price is usually right!

I wil find out soon if I get my full 100%. But, I can't imagine flying around in my condition,, taking morphine, in sever epain, and chronic fatigue.. but I can dream..

:unsure:

• HadIt.com Elder

each military guest house depends on space being available and the rules from the Commanding Officer most allow it a few won't it is always best to call ahead

space A flights will always leave some people jealous active duty retirees etc if they give it to 100% or even TDIU vets then vets that are rated from 10% to 90% will be jealous regardless of how much it cost to fly the plane if it is going from point a to point b and it has empty seats and there is an authorized body that wants a ride on it I could care less who gets it unless someone has a priority travel authorization and the govt says they get the seat it should be first come first served on standby by flights

it's cheaper and more dependable to buy the cheap seats a month ahead of time usually flying space a you spend more money on guest rooms and food in restaurants than you would just buying a seat on a plane I bought my brother a round trip from LA to Atlanta 129 each way he's coming in January he thought about riding the bus so it would be cheaper I asked him how much he thought the bus ticket was and all those meals for 3 days each way the discount plane tickets are a LOT cheaper

• HadIt.com Elder

The use of base MWR facilities by 100% disabled veterans is a "local policy" matter. Availability is another issue. (Lodging and so forth)

Space "A" travel was proposed, and I haven't heard of any decisions. Space "A" availability has always been a problem, even for those on leave with orders.

(Not what you wanted to hear!)

You can use the web to locate phone numbers of various bases and facilities, and some details. http://bellowsafs.com/Default.asp seems to be a place to start

I was reading that there is a bill trying to be passed allowing space a travel for disabled vets. Has anyone heard if this bill was passed or may get passed? Also, are we allowed to use billeting on bases or places like Bellows Beach in Hawaii? Vicky

• 2 years later...

You got two chumps/moderators at Military.com forum who are tying anchors to this issue, so don't go there. And they slam Vets looking for help half the time.

There is a new bill. Contact your Reps to get this out of commitee and signed. This is what I sent to the Armed Services Committee. And if you go to Open Congress web site, it will help you contact ALL your Congress reps at once...

"Honorable Chairman Howard P. McKeon

Armed Services Committee

2120 Rayburn House Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20515

Reference: H.R.164 Space Availability travel for service connected Permanently Disabled Veterans

Versions of this bill have been floating around the halls of Congress for decades. I pray that you will move it out of committee
and onto the floor.

Taking care of Disabled Veterans who were not medically retired from their service, yet sustained injuries severe enough to warrant a permanent and total rating is a small benefit to extend to us. Many of us pine for our days in the Military and traveling to see the wonders of our sacrifices, here and around the world.

The aircraft we would be able to fly on give priority to our Nation’s defense and we would only be occupying seats which would have been left empty. It is hard to imagine why this has not been enacted before.

Your endorsement and help in passing this legislation would certainly be another accolade you could cite as your support for America’s permanently Disabled Veterans. And it would be nearly cost-free."

Edited by Watchdog311